Dry or Wet Hood??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A class is worthwhile but by no means nevessary if an experienced drysuit diver can spend a little time with you. Almost everyone I know dives a dry suit and not even one has ever taken a drysuit class. Most of our students (for instance my kids) have never worn any other kind of suit.

Get someone experienced to show you the ropes (preferably in a pool the 1st time) and watch you real close your first 4-8 dives. Do practise being inverted and getting yourself back upright so the situation won't stress you. Don't worry too much: I've never actually seen someone go feet-skywards except as practise.

Do consider this to be a long-term learning project though, it takes many people (typically wetsuit divers not brand new divers) dozens of dives before they find the drysuit no trouble at all.

I am happy with a wetsuit hood not attached to the suit and I dive water that is often 4C in the middle of summer. I use an 8mm Bare hood w/zipper under the ice and a 5mm Waterproof hood otherwise. Two 3mm hoods one on top of the other also works quite well, and a 3mm hood over a thicker hood can be a nice added warmth. Some people find dry hoods an enjoyable, warm luxury, also a huge help with ears that develop problems easily. I just haven't found a dry hood to be a necessary investment. at least 1/2 the winter/ice divers I know use 5-8mm wetsuit hoods.

BTW I do like gaiters with a membrane suit. they seem nicely warm too.

And don't discuss bouyancy by suit vs bouyancy by BCD/wing unless you want people to become very ... "enthusiastic" about their point of view. It seems to be like politics or religion among drysuit divers :)

Last edited:
On the topic of hoods: I'm also considering buying a drysuit (already took my drysuit cert course - it was worth it), and got intrigued by the Viking suits. They often come with an attached latex hood. How do you equalize your ears with one of those? With a wet hood, I always have to make sure I flood it or the air space in my outer ears under the hood makes equalization very hard. But doing that with a dry hood would obviously defeat its purpose. So how does one equalize with a latex hood that's attached to the suit?
Oops I missed this before.

A viking is what I dive too. I do not find I need to add air in order to equalize, although it's likely some likely comes in from my mask. The latex is pretty tight to begin with, and there is little air. The beanie protects your head from unreasonable squeeze. It's the same clearing your ears as it is in the water.

As I mentioned, I cut mine too low, so it is often a wet hood, however water exchange is incredibly low so it is still very dry. I haven't found the need to layer it yet in water temps in the high 30s, but I've heard of people putting wet hoods on top for added insulation.

My hood purge valve was knocked off a few weeks ago---a hood suddenly full of 50F water hurts! It warmed up soon enough & I finished my dive with water sloshing in my ears. :D

Really dude? How does one need a drysuit class to understand the differences between drysuit hoods and wetsuit hoods. Maybe he was already planning to take a class....maybe he plans on getting mentorship from a friend. The answer to his question has since been answered, but the answer at the end of your post was very telling of your experience with a drysuit.you CAN use a wetsuit hood with a drysuit, but the extra material will get in the way and be uncomfortable.

Yes. Really dude.

There is a lot to consider. I see most have their own preferred way.
I'll need to get in the water with my wet hood and see it I can stand the cold.
And perhaps invest in a good hood. After all water is cold here :))
Thank you for the feedback. Gives me lots to consider. I like the beanie option under as well :))

ScubaStan,

The drysuit hood everyone is discussing has identical "wetsuit" material as a wetsuit hood. It just doesn't have an extra bib section that you would normally tuck into your wetsuit jacket. Were you thinking there is a hood that actually keeps your head dry? They exist but I don't think anyone was actually thinking that way.

Yeah one that keeps it dry and warm :))

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom