Dry gloves: anyone tried Xerotech?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chiara

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I was discussing with an instructor friend of mine the other day about my difficulty in keeping my hands warm while diving in the winter, despite wearing a drysuit.

He sent me this link, which comes out of Diver (UK):

http://www.divermag.com/archives/june99/xerotech_jun99.html

and said that a friend of him, who is easily prone to cold hands, found his happiness with these dry gloves which have a rubber end as well as the usual plastic mechanism and can be easily worn over a wetsuit if need be.

Anyone tried them?

Opinions?

Chiara

I have a pair and love them. I have a shell suit and place the seals over the seals of my drysuit which seals out the water very well. ICUROC here on the board has plastic O-ring cuffs that lock his in but this is not necessary. In the winter I put those hand warmers in mine to add even more comfort. I have the blue ones pictured on your post and they have held up very well. I have had to put aqua seal on a few spots but all in all they are very good gloves.

Jeff

Hi Nitrox Junkie!

How easy are they to don?

My main worry is that I may need external help, which of course is normally and readily available, still I don't want to make too much of a fuzz being a DM and trying to build up on my model role picture :wink:

Once the first is firmly in place, are your fingers still able to put the second on?

I even found a site where they will send them to me for 40£ (roughly 60$) which seems to me a more than acceptable price, not to mention there'll be no customs dues as it's inside Europe.

I have tried the Helios gloves, and to be honest they are okay, but getting the second glove on, or the first one off is a but if a challenge due to the latex seal. Also if you rip the seal, bound to happen sooner or later, they are garbage. I reccommend Skanna drygloves. They are the same glove, but have a very simple docking system with your suit. Easy on, easy off. If you rip one, easy to change them out yourself. Also allows air to migrate in and out of the glove, and with replaceable latex seals. (optional)

For something like 80-100 bucks you can have Si Teks.... Buy the rings, male and female and go to any hardware store and buy some chemical gloves with the sand grip stuff impregnated in the fingers and palm. Their insulated, flexable, tough as nails, and cheap! Bare makes an equivilant as well. You can mount them to your wrist seals, with out damaging them, and they come off in seconds if you want to dive with wet gloves. The glove half mounts to it's ring in the same mannor. I use a piece of rubber tubing to equalize pressure in the gloves from my suit under the wrist seal. To put them together sprinkle a little talk on the " o" ring and snap them together after turning the the threaded ring in . Dip your hand in the water, move it around and check the seal. If you feel water recheck the "o" ring seal, or threaded ring position. To remove them turn the threaded ring and they seperate. Fast , easy, insulated, secure, and cheap.......

Chiara

I don't have any problems putting mine on. I tuck the seal inside the glove after powdering it with talc. My hand slipps in very easy. I then pull the glove off by the fingers which flips the seal flush creating a very good seal. Every once in a while I have to pick around making sure the seal is not rolled over which will cause a leak but this is not a big deal.

As sexyscubadiver said, the seals can tear. I had a blemish in my seal from several years of diving them, and while pulling off by the seal:bonk: I ripped one of them;-0 . New seals can be purchased and replace by the user with very little effort.

Jeff

Chiara

I don't have any problems putting mine on. I tuck the seal inside the glove after powdering it with talc. My hand slips in very easy. I then pull the glove off by the fingers which flips the seal flush creating a very good seal. Every once in a while I have to pick around making sure the seal is not rolled over which will cause a leak but this is not a big deal.

As sexyscubadiver said, the seals can tear. I had a blemish in my seal from several years of diving them, and while pulling off by the seal:bonk: I ripped one of them;-0 . New seals can be purchased and replace by the user with very little effort.

Jeff

I use dry gloves with the ring system. they seem to keep my hands a lot dryer and warmer through out diving.

Scott:smelf: :snorkel:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom