Dry glove systems for DUI Zip Seals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was unable to get the 720s on the Kubi rings myself. Neither buddy today was able to either. I'm home from diving and have my gloves stretched over large jars. Going to roll the O rings over a large Yeti type tumbler and leave them there for 24 hours.

I ended up diving with 3mm wet gloves in 49F water for 30 minutes. Fingers were just slightly chilly at the end.

I will say I *love* the lower profile and smaller diameter of the Kubi suit side rings.

What do 5 mm wet gloves feel like at that temperature? I just got a drysuit with regular seals and plan to try the quarries out.

I was unable to get the 720s on the Kubi rings myself. Neither buddy today was able to either. I'm home from diving and have my gloves stretched over large jars. Going to roll the O rings over a large Yeti type tumbler and leave them there for 24 hours.
I went through this recently with getting my size small 720s onto 80mm Kubi rings. It's not a fun time. The gamechanger for me was setting up something to hold the glove ring so that I could use both hands freely to pull the glove on. Easiest thing (if you can) is just cutting out a circle of wood to the inside diameter of Kubi ring, and using that to hold the ring while you push this on.

This video demonstrates the technique extremely well. I just add having something to hold the ring in place to make my life easier.

I went through this recently with getting my size small 720s onto 80mm Kubi rings. It's not a fun time. The gamechanger for me was setting up something to hold the glove ring so that I could use both hands freely to pull the glove on. Easiest thing (if you can) is just cutting out a circle of wood to the inside diameter of Kubi ring, and using that to hold the ring while you push this on.

This video demonstrates the technique extremely well. I just add having something to hold the ring in place to make my life easier.

Yeah, having something to hold the ring in place isn’t going to happen.

What do 5 mm wet gloves feel like at that temperature? I just got a drysuit with regular seals and plan to try the quarries out.

I don’t know since after diving with 5mm gloves once (hated them since I had no dexterity), I went to Fourth Element 3mm gloves back when I was diving wet in 2017/18. I took them down to 42-43F on the Great Lakes. But I can stand slightly chilly fingers if the rest of me is warm. I was diving dry with a DUI DuoTherm 300 undersuit over a Thermolution heated vest on low. I was working on SM deco bottle wrangling and wasn’t swimming much.

Can’t get the 720s on the rings no matter what I do. Just don’t have the hand strength. Going to put the Kubi gloves back on the rings. The Kubi gloves are too tight with my FE fleece liners but I’ve got no choice in the matter. Oh, well. Kubi gloves are lower grade than the 720s, but it is what it is. :(

Pulled zip seals off suit. Redid the Kubi rings to be much closer to sleeve. Put it all back together. :D

A69C0C8F-58FF-417A-8016-EDE2AAE4D5CA.jpeg

Pulled zip seals off suit. Redid the Kubi rings to be much closer to sleeve. Put it all back together. :D

View attachment 655612

I have kubis on silicone zipseals with about the same spacing as that - base of the ring lines up with the thicker portion of the seal. I have had the rings on the same pair of silicone seals for 1.5 years now (~150 dives). I have heard that latex hold up better, but didnt want to buy new seals just for this. When these silicon rip I might go for latex.

I also have the showa 720 in 8/M on the 80mm kubi rings. It can fit, I don't remember it being crazy hard to load, but maybe soaking it in some warm water might make it easier to strech?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom