Dry glove system comparison

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

as long as I dont have to have the expensive OS gloves with the OS rings I guess I will keep using that system. Thanks for all the help with this.

I find them tight as well after a dive. To bad they don't make a quick release tool.

They do -- They're called teeth!

Floater: I told you that you had better put the duct tape on O-ring are on the glove ring to extend your glove life. LOL~~~

I plan to, but right now I'm still deciding how much of the glove cuff to trim. Once I'm set I'll add the tape.

As for the puncture, I am using $4~$5 neoprene coated glove from the local HW stores. You will be surprised how much tough and durable this cheap glove is unless you are a lobster diver. I have used the same gloves more than 8 month (almost dive every weekend. And, I don't mind replacing this glove anytime whenever I need to replace my car wash gloves...:eyebrow:

Do you have a picture of the gloves, or their full name (to google). I looked, but didn't find good gloves at one the big hardware stores (Home Depo or one of those).

as long as I dont have to have the expensive OS gloves with the OS rings I guess I will keep using that system. Thanks for all the help with this.

Pretty much any watertight glove with a cuff that has either a smooth inner or outer surface, and stretches enough to go over the rings will do. And if your favorite glove doesn't match that criteria, you could always glue latex seals to it, but that would cost ~$25 for a pair of seals and a can of glue + a night's work.

The best dry glove is NO dry glove. They are quite easily punctured or torn, and then you could end up with a serious problem of a flooded drysuit.

Wetsuit gloves are infinitely more practical and more safe.

For warmth, I suggest better drysuit liners plus a small argon bottle.

I dunno about that, not for me at least - your hands can probably handle the cold better than mine. I tried a buddy's drysuit a few weeks ago at Bainbridge. The suit had no dry gloves, so I used 5mm wet gloves. As a result, I was comfy otherwise, but my hands froze, and felt numb and tingly.

And regardless of how tight the seals are, whenever I do something with either hand that causes the tendon to pop out like this
tendon_pop.jpg

it opens a gap in my (latex) seal that allows some water to leak in - not so with dry gloves. Well, I suppose you can pull the seal further up (to the area beyond tendon pop), but that's a PITA...

And even if the dry glove fails, most DR systems still retain the regular seals that should stop a flood. You could also carry a pair of wet gloves for such emergencies, but I dunno, would have to be a long dive with mandatory deco for me to go that far...

I plan to, but right now I'm still deciding how much of the glove cuff to trim. Once I'm set I'll add the tape.

Do you have a picture of the gloves, or their full name (to google). I looked, but didn't find good gloves at one the big hardware stores (Home Depo or one of those).

I think I sent the link to you before though....:eyebrow:

Here it is....

You can see the labels on the picture. I got two brands of gloves, black and blue, from Home Depot. Those gloves are all neoprene coated. I can say that the neoprene coated one lasts longer, but a color selection is limited (my GF likes a pink:rofl3:)

To all, I am NOT affiliated with OS system at all...

Back
Top Bottom