Dry glove system comparison

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NorthWoodsDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Currently I own a fusion drysuit.

several of my fellow divers have the viking classic dry glove rings and latex gloves and they really love them but I found them to be a PITA soo.

a fellow diver let me try the OS systems dry glove setup and I really like it however the gloves are super spendy and I know the blue smerf gloves that work with the viking bayonet are considerably cheaper.

my question is: How does the viking bayonet system work in comparison to the os system. I am gonna buy something different ASAP and I dont want to buy something that is gonna fight me like the classic setup has, that OS system worked so slick but seems way overpriced for the gloves and I dont think the 660's or similar cheaper gloves will work with that system as the OS gloves came with a sort of latex seal bonded to them.

Thanks so much.

I'd say give the Viking drygloves more of a look, or the SI TECH drygloves, which are similar.

My SI TECH's are easy and quick to use. Only took a little practice.

It's very nice being able use the inexpensive Atlas 660's or even the original fatter 495's as spares in case of a puncture. They're pretty tough, so it rarely happens, though.

The increased dexterity with the vinyl glove is well worth any slightly slower mounting time, IMO.

I use different sizes depending on the amount of liner needed for the water temps. That's nice, too.

Dave C

I think you miss read my issue, viking makes 2 different systems. I got the classic setup where you pull and stretch a heavy latex glove over a ring installed on the suit and I am trying to compare vikings other system... the bayonet rings system (which I would like to buy)... to the OS rings I borrowed that require special gloves and are costly. Thanks for the help but I dont think I was clear as to what I was asking.

I think you miss read my issue, viking makes 2 different systems. I got the classic setup where you pull and stretch a heavy latex glove over a ring installed on the suit and I am trying to compare vikings other system... the bayonet rings system (which I would like to buy)... to the OS rings I borrowed that require special gloves and are costly. Thanks for the help but I dont think I was clear as to what I was asking.

My bad, I see what you mean now.

Dave C

I don't have any experience with the OS dry gloves, but I love my Viking bayonet system. It takes about two minutes to install on a suit (once you've gone through it once) and requires no tools. Similarly, you can change out a punctured glove in the parking lot in about two minutes, again without tools. Putting the gloves on is as simple as putting your hand in them, mating the two rings, and twisting about a quarter of an inch. It's a positive lock, so they CAN'T pop off, and it's really obvious if you haven't mated them properly.

The only two criticisms I have of the system are that it's fairly expensive, and that it can be hard on seals. Especially if the wrist seals are smaller than the rings (which are fairly good sized), the seal will wear and eventually fail over the edge of the plastic. My DC seals went in about 40 or 50 dives. The wrist seals on my Mobby's lasted a couple of hundred (with a bit of patching), and the heavy duty seals on the Fusion are not showing any signs of wear yet, at about 75 dives.

The OS rings (with o-rings) cost $58 + another $6 for the overcuffs (neoprene cuff covers if you want them). They don't require expensive specialty gloves. Here's how they look with the $4 Atlas 620 gloves (edit: not 420 as I first wrote, but Atlas Vinylove 620 - XL in that pic).

However, they were too rigid for my taste, so I'm currently using $1 or $2 canners gloves (I can post pics of those too). Also, in that pic I have NOT trimmed the Atlas gloves since I decided not to use them - otherwise I would have.

Attachments

• atlas_gloves_with_os_rings.jpg
    atlas_gloves_with_os_rings.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 589
Last edited:
I also have the OS gloves and when they work they work well. My hands do not get cold real easy. Was a butcher in a slaughter house where the temp was 38-40 degrees year round. My only gripe is you do have to get the length just right or when you strecth you can pop the seal without realizing it till the glove becomes a wet glove. Right now I've gone to the pinnacle 5mm merino wet gloves and they work good. Spent as much as 45 min in 40 degree water and was good to go. Naturally the dry gloves would have been warmer but they seem like a pain to get on sometimes. I'm doing Erie this weekend. I may just use them. If so I'll let you know how it went.

Attached are a few pics of the OS rings with the "Canners" gloves on them that I use - they are just a bit thicker than yellow dishwashing gloves, so they may not be rugged enough for most people here, but so far I like them. I got them from bob3 for $2, and I just add as much underneath as required to stay warm. If I need bigger gloves for thicker under gloves, then so be it; they cost $1-2 a pair, and take 2 minutes to change onto the rings.

Note: The Atlas gloves take longer to install because they have the smooth surface on the outside (not inside like with canners gloves), so you need to fold outer skin into the ring, but it's do-able and looks neater.

Attachments

• canners_gloves1.jpg
    canners_gloves1.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 223
  • canners_gloves2.jpg
    canners_gloves2.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 158
Regarding seal wear, I'll just add that the SI TECH rings are so easy to remove and reinstall that I remove them right after finishing the last dive of the day.

SI TECH also makes the Viking Bayonet rings with the same attachment design, so they should be just as easy.

I knew someone who left SI TECH rings on for over a year and ended up with significant and premature seal rot.

By having them mounted only for short periods, I get no seal wear or rot from the mounts.

Dave C

I have the Viking Bayonet rings on my fustion and love them so far. Very easy to put the golves on and take them off by yourself. I bought several pair of gloves to have replacements when I need them...

Phil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom