Dry Glove Fit Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mahjong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What do people find is the most comfortable fit for a Showa style dry glove? Prior to entering the water and with a liner installed, should the glove fit a bit on the snug side? Or should it fit a bit loosely? My first dry glove dive is Monday, so I am not sure what will happen to the feel of the glove at depth. Will a slightly snug glove become a tad looser at depth and therefore comfortably flexible? Or vice versa? Or will a slightly loose glove undergo some squeeze and fit fine, allowing for dexterity?

My blue gloves fit a tad loose out of the water. Long story, but I acquired a pair of the max dexterity orange gloves in the same size (L), but they run small, so these gloves are rather snug with the liner on. Not sure which gloves should work best at depth in terms of fit and therefore which glove to dive on Monday.

Any insights from those with experience?

Whose gonna be the first one to advise blue on one hand and orange on the other ? :crafty:

What do people find is the most comfortable fit for a Showa style dry glove? Prior to entering the water and with a liner installed, should the glove fit a bit on the snug side? Or should it fit a bit loosely? My first dry glove dive is Monday, so I am not sure what will happen to the feel of the glove at depth. Will a slightly snug glove become a tad looser at depth and therefore comfortably flexible? Or vice versa? Or will a slightly loose glove undergo some squeeze and fit fine, allowing for dexterity?

It should be loose when you get in, to allow the liner to retain it's fluff.

It will compress as you descend. Some people like this because it increases dexterity, however others to not, as it also decreases warmth.

If you want to allow it to equalize with your suit pressure, you can put on the liners first, then put your arms in the suit and push your hands through he wrist seals. This will leave fabric under the seals and allow the gloves to equalize and keep you warmer.

If you like being "shrink-wrapped", put the drysuit on, then the glove liners, then the gloves, with nothing between the seal and your wrist, and the glove will compress as you descend.

Depending on your actual glove system and size of your hands, you may need to trim the excess from either or both of the inner and outer glove.

flots.

For me, the biggest thing is the length of the fingers. If you have extra glove material beyond the end of your fingertips, your dexterity will be seriously degraded.

If you equalize the gloves, the fit won't change underwater. You don't want the whole assembly to be so tight that the insulating material of the inner glove is too compressed to be warm, but it's fine to have it all be snug.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom