Dry cave and UW cave helmet mounted light options??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GF99/99

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys I know there is lots of info on dive primary lights on this site but I was wondering if anyone has suggestions/experience with helmet mounted lights that work as primary dry cave lights but can also be taken diving. Right now I am just using several cheap Orcatorch lights bunged to my helmet for out of water use but I think its time to upgrade to a proper caving light. My current dive light is an UWLD so it can only be used submerged so now I want a nice dry primary light to supplement my canister light. Also my personal preference is having a nice helmet mounted handsfree light for diving is super handy for exploration, line work, survey, mapping, etc.

Obviously the Rolls Royce would be a Scurion but last I checked these are going for about 1,100 Euro. I have not ruled this light out but I don't know if I am ready to sink 1,100 Euro into another light. My main choice I have been looking at is Phaethon lights. http://nebula.wsimg.com/f264e55e42e...0AC38F6FBC1DED2CC&disposition=0&alloworigin=1 I don't know a lot about them and don't know anyone personally that has one but have heard from others that know someone that has one they are a good alternative to a Scurion. I also like that they take regular 18650 batteries and use a Piezo switch and the best part is they are 420 Euro, over half the price. But like I said I don't know much about them and have not found much info on the durably and reliably of them

Does anyone have any other suggestions for lights or have experience with Phaethon lights?

@Bobby can confirm, but I believe your UWLD will work just fine on land if it is on the "low" setting so it doesn't over heat.

Wow! thats great news!! (pending Bobby can confirm this) I did not know that about the UWLD lights. Learn something new everyday but then again does not surprise me based on the reputation UWLD lights have.

But either way I am still interested in a proper handsfree helmet mounted dry caving light plus I don't want to eat up battery life from my UWLD as I only have the 107wH battery and sometimes a lot of time is spent in dry portions/sumps or just dry caving in general with out any diving involved at all.

Hey guys I know there is lots of info on dive primary lights on this site but I was wondering if anyone has suggestions/experience with helmet mounted lights that work as primary dry cave lights but can also be taken diving. Right now I am just using several cheap Orcatorch lights bunged to my helmet for out of water use but I think its time to upgrade to a proper caving light. My current dive light is an UWLD so it can only be used submerged so now I want a nice dry primary light to supplement my canister light. Also my personal preference is having a nice helmet mounted handsfree light for diving is super handy for exploration, line work, survey, mapping, etc.

Obviously the Rolls Royce would be a Scurion but last I checked these are going for about 1,100 Euro. I have not ruled this light out but I don't know if I am ready to sink 1,100 Euro into another light. My main choice I have been looking at is Phaethon lights. http://nebula.wsimg.com/f264e55e42e...0AC38F6FBC1DED2CC&disposition=0&alloworigin=1 I don't know a lot about them and don't know anyone personally that has one but have heard from others that know someone that has one they are a good alternative to a Scurion. I also like that they take regular 18650 batteries and use a Piezo switch and the best part is they are 420 Euro, over half the price. But like I said I don't know much about them and have not found much info on the durably and reliably of them

Does anyone have any other suggestions for lights or have experience with Phaethon lights?

All UWLD lights can be used out of the water on low, and are very popular with dry cavers. The usually buy and extra clip, or use the clip from the included Goodman handle, to attach the light head to the helmet. I know a caver that uses both UWLD primary and video lights dry caving and doing photography.

UWLD lights also have an automatic turn down if used on a higher setting out of the water. If they get too hot they will turn themselves down to low.

All UWLD lights can be used out of the water on low, and are very popular with dry cavers. The usually buy and extra clip, or use the clip from the included Goodman handle, to attach the light head to the helmet. I know a caver that uses both UWLD primary and video lights dry caving and doing photography.

UWLD lights also have an automatic turn down if used on a higher setting out of the water. If they get too hot they will turn themselves down to low.

Thanks for the info Bobby!

I also like that they [...] use a Piezo switch

A friend of mine bought a nice little helmet mounted dry caving lamp with a pitzo switch (it might have been a Phaeton) and it would turn on and off erratically - especially in that tight crawl. Lots of cursing. Maybe it was the users fault or maybe pietzo switches are not that great in crawls. I don't know. Phaeton is supposed to be a caving light though.

A friend of mine bought a nice little helmet mounted dry caving lamp with a pitzo switch (it might have been a Phaeton) and it would turn on and off erratically - especially in that tight crawl. Lots of cursing. Maybe it was the users fault or maybe pietzo switches are not that great in crawls. I don't know. Phaeton is supposed to be a caving light though.

I use a Piezo that is made to my specifications to keep accidental turn on/off from happening. My Piezo requires a small amount of pressure to activate, not touch contact, and a full 3 seconds of pressure to turn the light on/off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom