Dropping a spool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They are supposed to, but there’s only one way to be certain before you need it to be so. Trust, but verify.

Anyone with a dgx spool? Was the line connected? Haven’t unspooled mine all the way yet

I've found the cheapie generic plastic spools not tied at the end. Havent seen it yet on the name brand ones.

Dropped a spool today.

Realised that aluminium is not very buoyant and falls pretty fast.

Had to rewind 45m of line on my right hand during the safety stop.

I never tried to drop a plastic reel but would they fall slow enough for me to pick it up before it drops too far ?

Here is the result:
View attachment 559265

edit: it was a spool not a reel

Been there done that.

Tip. Loop of bungee attached to the dsmb, which goes around the spool, prevents it unwinding if say the attachment becomes loose

I've had an (Apex spool like yours) catch when shooting, let it go and then watched it slowly unwind and descend to my outstretch hand (in front of new divers who thought I was pulling off a cool trick)

Newton's little known 17th Law states, the gravitational pull on a spool and its rate of descent, is inversely proportional to (a) the distance you are from dropped spool (b) the amount of witnesses to the incident :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom