Dropping a spool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I knew it was coming... :D

I really don't know if it has a name, but I'll try to explain (this is if you're right hand, but I'm pretty sure it works also if you're lefty): after the SMB is deployed, keep the spool in your left hand. With the right hand, put the back of your hand on the line, push it to your right and twist it down-upwards. Now you have a loop around your hand. Place this loop around the spool (where the line is). The line is now stopped by this simple "knot". If you let the spool go, it won't go anywhere. If you have to ascend, recover the line, and repeat the operation.
Back on board, undo the line, and untie the knot(s).
Hope is clear.
You can also clip your double ended into the line and then I to a hole on the spool to prevent an unspooling off you let go or drop it.

I always have a double ender on my spool, it's how it's attached to me. I also always carry at least one spare. I honestly can't see how tying knots around your spool then having to unwind it on the boat to untie the knots could be easier than doing it the boltsnap way, each to their own though.
I don’t believe he is talking about a knot it is just a loop wound back which creates a cinch in the line. Would be pretty easy to undo unless you are in gloves. Personally I have a double ender though.

I know he called it that but is not a true knot as most would think of one. Just a loop on the spool in a different direction. Just semantics.

I know he called it that but is not a true knot as most would think of one. Just a loop on the spool in a different direction. Just semantics.
You can called it what you want but as far as I'm concerned, if you have to unwind the spool to "untie" it, it's a knot lol

You can called it what you want but as far as I'm concerned, if you have to unwind the spool to "untie" it, it's a knot lol
Yep not ideal to me either. I’ll wind my way up, clip off, and climb in the boat to deal with my smb.

I always have a double ender on my spool, it's how it's attached to me. I also always carry at least one spare. I honestly can't see how tying knots around your spool then having to unwind it on the boat to untie the knots could be easier than doing it the boltsnap way, each to their own though.
Whatever floats your boat brother... :wink:
I think my "method" is an extra skill useful to know in case something happens... For me, it is so easy that it became my number one method... No clipping, no searching, just a quick, easy loop with the line...

Just to be sure: I called it knot, but it's not a real knot (English is my second language [but honestly, I wouldn't know how to call it even in my first language])...

EDIT: after a quick search, thanks to @BoundForElsewhere, I confirm that is called Half Hitch Knot (so yes, technically I was right when I called it knot).
I've learned something today, yeiii

Stupid question: Do all (or most) spools come with the line tied at the end to the spool? I've never unwound my spool to the end of the line. Luckily, I haven't dropped it, either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom