Drop in MR16 LED replacement? (maglite)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaalblake

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a VERY simple homebuilt cannister light that uses MR16 halogen globes. Runs directly off 12v lead acid batteries. head is a modified Maglite. Only a simple on/off on the cannister. No electrics/circuit board or anything. Obviously it chews through batteries :)
I'd like to drop-in an LED replacement. Question:
1. Does anyone know of 9w Cree MR16 replacements with a *narrow* beam - all the ones I have seen have 60 degree beam angle.
2. Can I just connect the MR16 LED module direct to the battery without any fancy electrics?
Al.

You will need to buy a driver for the LED in order to run it on 12 volts. These are very simple to install and cost between 4-20$ . I do not know of any MR16/LED combos. I actually just bought a few MR16s and am going to try and experiment with it.

SSC P7 with 52mm reflector
Cree MCE with the same.
Check out Dealextreme.com
I would ditch the battery pack and get a 7.2 volt LiIon if doing the P7 or the Cree in parallel configuration. Or do a 14.8 volt pack with a Cree in series configuration.
You can get the driver thorugh DX as well.

Oh, you can direct drive a P7 with a 3.7 volt pack. You'll need to parallel about 6 of the 18650 batteries to get about 4-5 hours run time.

350xfire, you've been making a lot of LEDS lately it seems so..

HAve you found a reflector that can be ordered in small quanities that focuses the P7 LEd nice and tight. My p7 has been performing flawlessly with the reflector that comes with the diving flashlight from DX, but I was in some 15 ft viz last week and it didn't cut it. I need more throw if I'm going to stick with the P7.

Thanks for all the suggestions. problem is I am going to the Nullabor (desert in oz) to cave dive in a few weeks and I cant take the chance of stuffing my light between now and then :(
I was wondering whether I could just stuff the Terralux 300MR in the head and connect direct to the existing battery?
They *say* they run on 9-12v and have a built in driver......you can even buy them on ebay:
TERRALUX LED BULB for MAGLITE MAG CHARGER TLE-300MR EX - eBay Flashlights, Lanterns Lights, Camping Hiking, Outdoor Sports, Sporting Goods. (end time 05-Feb-10 14:31:42 AEDST)

any experience. Do they work?
Down the track I'll ditch the lead-acid but I dont have the time to make a new battery setup right now and was wondering whether the Terralux could just *plug in*. Or have I missed something obvious.......will I burn it out if I just connect it direct to the 12V batt?
The batts are actually 2x6v in series...so I could split them and run it on 6v?

350xfire, you've been making a lot of LEDS lately it seems so..

HAve you found a reflector that can be ordered in small quanities that focuses the P7 LEd nice and tight. My p7 has been performing flawlessly with the reflector that comes with the diving flashlight from DX, but I was in some 15 ft viz last week and it didn't cut it. I need more throw if I'm going to stick with the P7.

The P7 is hard to get really tight with a small reflector. With that said the Dealextreme 35 mm modified to work with P7 does a decent job.
I have ordered 50 of the Fraen FRC for P7 that came out recently to try out and will know soon if they are better. I really like Fraen products. They are pretty cheap, non conductive plastic and the tightest I have found.
Hector

Got the Fraen MR-11s for P7 in and they are nice. Overall the nicest hot spot I have achieved out of the P7.

DealExtreme: $25.88 SSC P7-C 2800mA LED Module with Copper Base (3.6V~8.4V)
The above drop in nearly fits in a mag. You have to trip abit off the outer diameter of the reflector but this can be done with a lathe, dremel, grinder or file. Make sure you dont let it heat up when doing it or the reflective coating may get damaged.
You will have to change your battery pack but I would recomend this any way. SLA batteries are so big and heavy for their capacity.

Here is a thread where I used the same LED and reflector (but a different driver) as those used in that drop in. As can be seen from the pics its a much better colour than the halogen MR16 35watt ( over driven to 50 watt) but not as bright. but it used 1/4 of the power.

Got the Fraen MR-11s for P7 in and they are nice. Overall the nicest hot spot I have achieved out of the P7.

Are you willing to sell any of the refletors by themselves?

I used a terralux 300m and all I did was solder a + wire to the bulb tip and a ground wire to the side and made sure the base made good contact for a heat sink. It's worked great for 2 years with a 12 volt system.

Back
Top Bottom