Driving up into Texas, should I bring my gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba-Jay

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I'll be driving up to Houston this week from Tampa and was wondering if I should bring my gear for the chance of gettning a little wet. Will I be passing anything in Tx worth diving? Any suggestions would be great.

J

A couple of liveaboards go out of Freeport TX, @ 50 miles from Houston, great weekend trip to the Flower gardens

If you want clear salt water you'll have to try to get a charter out of Freeport to go 50+ miles into the Gulf to get any depth and clear water. Other than that then local lakes and quarries are your only option. They are all basically the same....green water, vis between 5-15ft, water temps this time of year in the 50's, depths vary depending on whether they are natural or man made lakes.

But Hey.....it's what we have so we like 'em!

weekend liveaboard out of Freeport interest you, 100 ft vis, lots of coral and fish, hammerheads schooling soon, get 7 dives and meals about $400

Have you done a dive at Vortex Springs? Located off of I-10 on the way out of Florida. I moved to Texas a few months back from Orlando and remember passing it. The water over here doesn't compare to the springs back home!

Only 800 miles further to Santa Rosa NM. :D

Nah, go to Flower Gardens if anything - or Cozumel. Florida divers do so often not try the other possibilities. I have to travel, usually at least two planes, so I've been a lot of good dive sites.

actually I'm flying now rather than driving so not taking my gear. Oh well. I had looked at a missile silo near fort worth. Looked interesting enough!!

Jay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom