Driving to 4000Ft after diving. Need recommendation ASAP.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

here is an old saying that i live by in all aspects of my life. not just diving: "when in doubt, DONT"

if you are not 100% sure, play it safe and dont do it. wait the 24 hours.
Bill

I can't tell you that it would be safe or how to tell for sure that it would be ok to drive to 4000 feet after the dives but I can tell you how to tell that you should NOT!

If you are showing ANY signs or symptoms of DCI then DO NOT go to altitude. Go to the chamber instead.

How do you know if you are showing signs of DCI?
Learn the 5 minute neurological exam and use it before and after diving.
See;
http://wrigley.usc.edu/hyperbaric/neuro/neuro.htm

Most of the people who have had problems going to altitude after diving were showing signs of trouble before starting up.

Acording to U.S. Navy tables your clean about nine hours after the final dive in your sequence. 4,000 ft. should not pose any problem. Want a little extra margin? Do the dives on EAN-36.

The 18 hours to fly assumes an aircraft pressurizedto 8,000 feet, not the 4,000 that you'lll be exposed to, so it does not apply.

Or, if you have a computer that monitors altitude you could take it with you on all the dives and then on the drive- just make sure it self adjusts for altitude, not all do.

No, I changed my plans just to be safe. I will go to the volcano on the first day and dive on the second.

Better to stay on the safe side. We never know if one of those dives might become of moderate stress or even become a deco dive.

Thanks for all the help.

divebrasil:
Hi and thanks for reading this.

I was planning to do 3 dives in one day and drive to the Big Island Volcano National Park at 4000ft the next day. I am wondering if it's safe?

The drives profile will most likely be:
50ft - 50minutes - 9am
65ft - 35min - 5pm
40ft - 50min - 7pm

THe volcano park is at 4000 ft, but the drive there is more on the 2500ft range and then goes to 4000 in the end.

I was planning to drive the up to 4000ft around noon. It would be like 16h interval until noon.

What do you think?

THank you so much!

do 10+ minute ascents from 30 fsw, use nitrox and make certain you don't drive up there if you've got symptoms of DCS...

in the chamber rides that developed the flying-after-diving recommendations, doing back-to-back square profile dives at 60 fsw to the limits of the NDL with ommitted safety stops did not generate any DCS cases more than 12+ hrs after ascent to 8,000 ft cabin pressure. as long as you actually do some decompression you should be able to put yourself in much better shape...

oh be more careful if you've got a history of DCS, migraines or think for any reason you might be sensitive to DCS and/or know you've got a PFO...

nadwidny:
No kidding. Some idiots actually suggested to follow a dive computer's recommendation. That is just whacked.

And your problem with that is?

Or would you rather just call me an idiot?

1) Be certain you DAN insurance is paid up.

2) Do what ever you want.

(Of course this is in jest.)

Darin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom