Driving (not diving) in Central America

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kouhoutek

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am considering a 2 or 3 week trip to Central America in 2009.

It is going to be more of a vacation with diving than a diving vacation...I'm thinking of renting a car the whole time, and just wandering around from country to country for a while. Maybe start in Belize, and work my way south to Panama.

Is this feasible, or am I crazy? I'm worried about the driving part...can I get place to place in a reasonable amount of time by car? Is it safe? Can I even find a car rental place that will let me?

I am not aware on any rental agency that will allow a car to go outside national borders.

I would suggest a minimum of two jeeps, tire repair kits, compressor, extra gas cans, winch with 150' cable, water containers, traction mats, two machine pistols and 500 rounds of ammunition pre-loaded in magazines. This may cause delays at various border control points unless you look very inconspicuous. That should be easy, right?

That and about $2000, maybe $500 in gold. (Note to self, break that into separate amounts and secrete in various places on vehicle.)

ccv_old_138.jpg

That should do it.

Driving in Panama is not bad (except for Panama City, which is totally nuts). The roads are pretty well maintained, there is usually gas, and it is fairly safe. It is also very scenic. There might be some places where the highway narrows to one lane (we had some heavy rains and mudslides a few weeks ago, but word is that all roads are open, repairs are being made, and there are only a few spots where the road is down to one lane). If you get the chance, consider taking the car ferry from Almirante to Isla Colon-it is a beautiful ride.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom