Driving from Texas to the Yucatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I won't even mention some of the things you need to watch for in Louisiana :):confused::eek:

I won't even mention some of the things you need to watch for in Louisiana :):confused::eek:
A friend of mine rearended a black angus on the road from Lake Charles to Big Lake one night. He said he never saw it until it looked back at him and he saw the reflection of his headlights in the beast's eyes. He slammed on the brakes and managed to almost stop. Almost.

A friend of mine rearended a black angus on the road from Lake Charles to Big Lake one night. He said he never saw it until it looked back at him and he saw the reflection of his headlights in the beast's eyes. He slammed on the brakes and managed to almost stop. Almost.
Black cattle are the worst risk of cattle breeds, just for that reason. On a dark night, you usually don't see them until they look at you, which is generally too late. Some say that hogs are worse as they have short legs so don't give as much as a cow that will fall with the hit. I once saw a huge porcupine on the road up from the breaks and worried about trying to dig one out of the front end of my pickup.

Deer are the deadliest in the US I think as there are so many now, and they love grazing ditches at night. I was on the way to Santa Rosa one night for scuba training the next morning and this huge buck jumped out in front of me. I know to never swerve as that so often leads to rollovers, and I didn't think the risk of hard braking would make much difference at my speed and how close he was, so I braced for impact and closed my eyes. I have no idea how I missed him as it seemed inevitable. I drive slower these days, more so to save on gas, watch for those in the ditches and pray they saw me coming, and on that road between Fort Sumner and Santa Rosa - I cannot drive thru those low areas without repeated honking.

Oh, there was a Javelina on the road on my way to Big Bend NP once, ready dead, and I didn't see him until too late. He knocked some wires lose on the bottom of my low slung Impala.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom