Driving from Texas to the Yucatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

horn34

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know we have several posters here that do this regularly (Christi?, Dave?), so I was hoping to get some stories/tips. I'd like to do it one of these days, and if this government shutdown screws up my flight arrangements next month, I might just drive. I've driven from Austin to Mazatlan and back, plus thousands of miles driving the Pacific coast side and all over the Yucatan.

Other than a long drive; you have to consider safety. Tamaulipas is one of the most dangerous states in Mexico. San Luis and Veracruz also have a lot of drug related violence and kidnapings. Now you are half way there, gets a little safer but is it worth the risk?

My last family trip that we drove, was to central Mexico, about twelve years ago, wish I felt confortable enough to do it again. Been advice by many local businessman and associates to fly. When I go for business, I always have a driver waiting for me at my destination.

Check the State Dept web page for the latest travel info.

Be safe!

I have never made the drive and would not consider it personally. Sorry - I have no info for you on this one.

I know we have several posters here that do this regularly (Christi?, Dave?), so I was hoping to get some stories/tips. I'd like to do it one of these days, and if this government shutdown screws up my flight arrangements next month, I might just drive. I've driven from Austin to Mazatlan and back, plus thousands of miles driving the Pacific coast side and all over the Yucatan.

Email Jeanie at Tres Pelicanos. They make the drive at least twice a year.

Email Jeanie at Tres Pelicanos. They make the drive at least twice a year.
I talked to her about it in November when she gave us a ride to the marina. Just looking for other takes from posters here.

I dove with some guys last year from San Diego that said the cross the border and fly from Tijuana to Cancun. That got me thinking so I looked at those options from Texas. You could drive to Monterrey, about 9 hours from Dallas, and fly direct to Cancun. I saw some RT flights for $120 on Aeromexico.

I follow a FB page called On the Road in Mexico that caters to people driving in MX. Lots of great info and experience sharing. Where to cross & what time is best, what to expect at different crossing places, papers needed, good places to stop etc... Lots of nice pictures and people checking in from all over the country. Ck it out.

Back
Top Bottom