Driving from Miami Int'l to Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, you do have to give a CC number. I wouldn't to do that at a retail store, but the Turnpike plaza might be more secure. If I were an occasional visitor, I wouldn't get one, it's just another CC charge every month, and it's difficult to cancel if your'e not in the State. It's not that big a deal to drop the coins to Kl and back.

Don't forget to call 5-1-1 from your cell phone and ask for traffic conditions in "Miami-Dade County" and "Monroe County". It's free and its voice activated.

I'll be driving down from Miami to Largo this Friday afternoon. Any suggestions as to taking US1/South Dixie Hwy versus the Toll Road? I have plenty of time and don't mind a little added time, especially if I don't have to stop and toss coins. But Fridays can be "special" when it comes to afternoon commutes so a little local advice is always welcome.

If you'd like the scenic route, once you have the rental car, take LeJune Road south to SW 8th Street (world famous Calle Ocho and aka US41). Then take Calle Ocho (SW8th Street) west until you reach the Miccosukee Gaming Resort located at Krome Avenue and SW 8th Street (US41 and FL997). Turn left(south) and take Krome Avenue until it intersects with US1 in Florida City where you'll take US1 down the 18 mile stretch (that's not actually 18 miles) and enter the top of the Keys in Key Largo.

What you'll see:
  • On SW 8th street, you'll see the heart of Miami's Cuban culture and population.
  • On Krome Avenue, as you pass through the Redlands and Homestead, you'll see a part of "old" Florida that looks like it's still in 1964.

No tolls, no Sunpass, and you'll see more of Florida in two hours than many visitors see in a week.

Just go smokey and the bandit style and run um all. Don't feel bad about the Largo/Key Largo thing. I got corrected to.

Well, ok, you do have to activate the thing - you gotta call 1-888-865-5352 and follow the instructions with the touch-tone. Once you're in the system, you won't get a ticket even if it doesn't activate right away.
Plus they'll refund the balance after your trip. Then you can stick the thing on your forehead and get in free at any ashram.
Whatever the cost, it's worth it to avoid the toll plazas.

I can't believe some of the stuff that's been posted here. Some of you people are telling him to use the toll plazas of doom, or then telling him to go down Killer Krome Avenue on a Friday? Well, that's if he made it that far... It might be a good idea to pretag your big toe before you do stuff like that.

Good luck whatever you do. I'm not even going to mention US1 between Floriduh City and Key Largo, although twice I've been right there while they're bringing in the helicopter.

I'm gonna call Governor Tanning Booth and nominate you for Florida Tourism Ambassador

Thank yew. Thank you verra much. As one of my first acts, there's gonna be summa that Eekanomical Stimalus money with your name on the thick envelope of cash money headed your way. I gotta tell you though that every time I see that "RetMTFE", it looks like REMF.

The "Largo" Honda in Key Largo on the right side isn't helping make
things any clearer....IJS ! I use Krome avenue when coming from
the gulf coast on 41 just for a change of scenery. Not sure how far
back west it is to Krome ave. from the airport ? Anywhere in south
florida this time of year you need to be cautious. Watch for passing
cars on Krome Avenue and some very aggressive drivers on the florida
turnpike !

Thank yew. Thank you verra much. As one of my first acts, there's gonna be summa that Eekanomical Stimalus money with your name on the thick envelope of cash money headed your way. I gotta tell you though that every time I see that "RetMTFE", it looks like REMF.

I'll be looking forward to the envelope Mr Tourism Director. I can always use more dive gear. :D
Negative on the rear echelon.

Last edited:
Thumbs down on driving through the city. You'll hit a thousand stoplights and it will take two hours. The bypass will take two or three dollars and you can make the trip in one hour.

Of course, you can do what all the "undocumented visitors" do, and smear some mud on the license plate and cruise through the Sunpass lanes unpaid. Wear sunglasses and deny any responsibility.
DMdoogie
Haha. Is that what the locals do? No wonder the car rental rates are going up so high. The "documented" visitors like me will help to pay the bills in FL.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom