Question Driving down Baja with small boat for diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just wondering where this happened to you. Outside of the more populated areas like San Jose del Cabo I've seen very few police on the Baja.
This happened to @BCSGratefulDiver when he moved down there.

Just wondering where this happened to you. Outside of the more populated areas like San Jose del Cabo I've seen very few police on the Baja.
Happened to me ... about four years ago, when I first moved down here ... in Tecate. But that's another story, and not an uncommon one.

Driving in Baja has its own challenges. If you're gonna do it, here's some advice from someone who lives down here for the past four years, and has made the drive between Loreto and the border many times.

Mordida is real ... that's the word for cops pulling you over for real or "perceived" reasons and shaking you down for money. They do it for a reason ... because most Americanos are willing to pay them. Don't do that. Don't give money directly to the cop. Insist on the ticket. Ignore the threats ... insist on the ticket. ALWAYS remain calm and polite, because the police will ... even while they're shaking you down. It's just how it is down here. Insist on the ticket ... they really don't want to write you one, and most of the time they'll just let you go ... because odds are the next gringo who drives through will be happy to pay and be on his way. It's what feeds the practice.

Best advice, don't give them any reason to look at you. Full stop at every ALTO sign. Slow through towns and villages. Drive respectfully ... not like the Mexican plated cars passing you or blowing through the ALTO signs. They're not the target ... you are. Don't draw attention to yourself.

Other than that, have fun. I prefer coming down through Mexicali, because the road's newer and nicer and once you're through Mexicali you won't have to deal with much traffic the whole way. Or if you're crossing at Tecate, take the toll road toward Mexicali and hook up with MX 5 ... it's really scenic over the mountains.

Pay attention to your gas. If you're coming MX 5, gas up in San Felipe ... next reliable gas is 220 miles at Jesus Maria. By then you'll have merged with MX 1 and be nearing the border between the northern and southern states. If you're coming down MX 1, gas up in El Rosario ... because it's a slightly longer distance to that same gas station in Jesus Maria. So pay attention. If you get stuck, look for the guys selling gas out of jerry cans along the highway. It's expensive, but beats running out before you get to that gas station. I speak from experience.

Pay attention to highway conditions ... Hurricane Kay took some major chunks out of the highway in various places, and the mud bypasses you'll be driving on around those places are not in great shape. Don't be in a hurry ... you're on Mexico time, after all.

Do not drive at night. Just don't. Don't try to rationalize it ... don't do it. There's crosses and shrines along the length of that highway for a reason. Between the cows and the potholes and the topes and the truckers it just ain't worth the risk to you or your vehicle. Don't drive at night in Baja ... not on the highway, anyway.

If you have any questions, message me. I don't come "upstairs" often, and only did this time because someone tagged me. Been living in Loreto, BCS since Dec '18, and have made the drive both north to the border and south to Cabo many times.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom