Question Driving down Baja with small boat for diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raftingtigger

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just as Covid hit in 2020 my husband and I were planning a flying trip to Cabo San Lucas and area for diving. Coming up on 3 years later we want to do the trip, but this time drive the length of Baja. I would want to bring our 12' (max 3 person and gear) dive boat for flexibility reasons. My husband no longer dives, but I am comfortable both diving and boating solo under certain conditions. No need to tell me it is a bad idea - I've thought long and hard about the increased risks.
What I want to know is: Are private boats allowed near Cabo? Would I need to hire a local dive guide? What else should I be aware of? Best time of the year?

It will actually cost us considerably less to drive (even with the boat) than to fly. It will also give us lots of flexibility. Our minivan (Chrysler Town & Country) is set up as a RV for impromtu camping.

I don't have any answers, but I am in love with this idea. Hope you do it!

I’m going to offer up observations after being to CSL three times (the most recent being last month). I am, by no means an expert nor a boater.

Cabo San Lucas has a very large marina, with a broad diversity of boats, from small water taxis to huge mega yachts.

The most convenient diving to the marina is along the Land’s End area which essentially starts at the exit of the marina.

The volume of boat traffic is unbelievable. You can get a water taxi that will take you all the way to Land’s End, or you can get a boat rental or a party boat, but they all take, more or less, the same route.

Here’s a link to a webcam that looks out at the marina entrance/exit.

In my opinion, an individual in a small boat would be overwhelmed in the type of traffic we have observed. Plus, I am not sure of where you could moor in order to dive.

I stand to be corrected, however I would suggest that you do a lot more research before you commit to your plan.

I have never done Baja in a car or with a boat. In fact, I haven't done it in close to 20 years.
That said, I used to ride my motorcycle down Baja every year with a group of friends. We would leave out of Phoenix area and ride down to Juarez over the course of a week. It was amazing and I think about the trips all the time. We would stay with random people along the way, not camping or in a hotel, just in the houses of random locals. They would give you a bed and a meal for very little money. The homes were largely made of pallets and cardboard. These people had nothing, but had a lot of pride in the little they did have. The homes had dirt floors but you wouldn't find dust on anything.
I'm sure it has changed a lot in 20 years, but at that time, we were buying gas from milk jugs and there wasn't any infrastructure. It wasn't a trip I could see making in a minivan pulling a boat, or even a minivan period.
Maybe it has changed, but I kind of hope that it hasn't. Those trips were amazing and made a lot of incredible memories.

I have never done Baja in a car or with a boat. In fact, I haven't done it in close to 20 years.
That said, I used to ride my motorcycle down Baja every year with a group of friends. We would leave out of Phoenix area and ride down to Juarez over the course of a week. It was amazing and I think about the trips all the time. We would stay with random people along the way, not camping or in a hotel, just in the houses of random locals. They would give you a bed and a meal for very little money. The homes were largely made of pallets and cardboard. These people had nothing, but had a lot of pride in the little they did have. The homes had dirt floors but you wouldn't find dust on anything.
I'm sure it has changed a lot in 20 years, but at that time, we were buying gas from milk jugs and there wasn't any infrastructure. It wasn't a trip I could see making in a minivan pulling a boat, or even a minivan period.
Maybe it has changed, but I kind of hope that it hasn't. Those trips were amazing and made a lot of incredible memories.
The roads and infrastructure are much better now. We did a road trip 1/2 way down Baja a couple of years ago (pre-Covid and pre-boat) and a regular car is all that is needed.

The roads and infrastructure are much better now. We did a road trip 1/2 way down Baja a couple of years ago (pre-Covid and pre-boat) and a regular car is all that is needed.
That is both good and disappointing all at the same time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom