Driving and Diving Extravaganza - 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I gotcha. When your plans firm up and you know when and where you'll be diving in Indiana, let us know. Many of us dive the local mud holes pretty regularly and we always enjoy meeting fellow ScubaBoard members. My previous post listed the best public diving options in Indiana. If you need any assistance, feel free to PM me.

Just a bit of warning to help prepare you though. None of the dive sites in Indiana will come close to rivaling Gilboa and White Star. Many of us wish they were alot closer!

Thanks! And thank you for the listing some quarries. I agree Gilboa is great. I dove it for the first time last weekend, and even though it was freezing cold, it was great.

I am also hoping that the overall sightseeing and vista views of the MO lower IL quarries make the trip worth it. I've seen photos of Table Rock and I am really looking forward enjoying the topside views also.

tobemory, alpena, the straits, St. Lawrence or Gilboa, and quarries???? Hmmm. Don't head south unless you are driving to a coast line. Save your pennies and get out of a quarry and enjoy what our region has to offer. Just my 2 psi but mud holes, junk piles set up by an overzealous owner and ow students get really tiresome after a while.

Well I guess it is time for me to chime in and get blasted. As for Nat and I we were hoping to make a social thing that involved diving in some new areas.. I for one havbe friends down in MO and have been thinking about going there solo myself. As the two of us were talking we thought it wold be great to get a group of us together and do a road trip, stopping to visit those we have befriended here and ST as well as give us the opportunity to all meet some new friends. Our original thought was traveling together would not also provide us with company but also save on some expenses.

Now with all that said....

I agree the Great Lakes offers some wonderful diving opportunities. I have a weekend trip in the works on MY diving board for the early part of summer. It is not about getting away from the great lakes. And it is not about going somewhere warm. It is about having an adventure.

BTW, I would much rather dive the turks, bonaire or coz for a warm weather vac if it were all about that.

Bottome line if you are interested in having a good time, meeting new friends and diving some different spots, or sugjesting some cool spots along the way, get a hold of one of us... If not you can keep your comments to yourself. That is the one problem I have seen at this place... Lots of people full of themselves and their opinions here. This really turns people off to wanting to post. So much for a friendly enviroment for all! It is a sad state when a board put up for to communicate, learn or such has people here that are contrary to the vision the founders here had.

And in case you are assuming.. No it isn't just about this thread. I have seen many verbally beaten up here several times. That is why I rarely post here anymore.

So I will pack up and go over to ST where atleast they remember that us divers are part of the same family and no matter what our differences are we still love each other!

Well I guess it is time for me to chime in and get blasted. As for Nat and I we were hoping to make a social thing that involved diving in some new areas.. I for one havbe friends down in MO and have been thinking about going there solo myself. As the two of us were talking we thought it wold be great to get a group of us together and do a road trip, stopping to visit those we have befriended here and ST as well as give us the opportunity to all meet some new friends. Our original thought was traveling together would not also provide us with company but also save on some expenses.

Now with all that said....

I agree the Great Lakes offers some wonderful diving opportunities. I have a weekend trip in the works on MY diving board for the early part of summer. It is not about getting away from the great lakes. And it is not about going somewhere warm. It is about having an adventure.

BTW, I would much rather dive the turks, bonaire or coz for a warm weather vac if it were all about that.

Bottome line if you are interested in having a good time, meeting new friends and diving some different spots, or sugjesting some cool spots along the way, get a hold of one of us... If not you can keep your comments to yourself. That is the one problem I have seen at this place... Lots of people full of themselves and their opinions here. This really turns people off to wanting to post. So much for a friendly enviroment for all! It is a sad state when a board put up for to communicate, learn or such has people here that are contrary to the vision the founders here had.

And in case you are assuming.. No it isn't just about this thread. I have seen many verbally beaten up here several times. That is why I rarely post here anymore.

So I will pack up and go over to ST where atleast they remember that us divers are part of the same family and no matter what our differences are we still love each other!

:confused: OK, I'm perplexed. I personally didn't see anyone beating you up but instead they were just offering their thoughts. I personally wish you well on your trip and would be more than happy to dive with the two of you.

As to ST vs. other boards, I prefer to stick to boards that are unaffiliated. I prefer ScubaBoard, The Dive Matrix, Zendiving and The Deco Stop. Don't really have time to add another.

Well I guess it is time for me to

Looks like more "letting go" at the next MNG campfire

Sorry if you were offended. You will meet lots of nice and interesting friends on dive charters and sitting in friendly bars up in Tobemory.

Sorry if you were offended. You will meet lots of nice and interesting friends on dive charters and sitting in friendly bars up in Tobemory.

Not offended and yes, you are right - I will meet a lot of interesting people in Tobemory.

When you consider that the typical diving season can begin around April (maybe earlier, I dive dry) and easily last through October/November, I'm sure I will find plenty of weekends to do a lot of Huron dives from Michigan and Ontario shores.

I'm not excluding these dive spots by no means. I've been to Tobemory on many occassions and I have a family cottage in Alpena. I've camped up and down the Michigan coastline.

I'm really not worried about finding excuses to dive in Michigan. I expect I will do plenty of Great Lakes dives throughout the summer.

BusDriver, maybe your schedule is different and weekends are not as available and you have limited opportunities to dive Tobermory and Alpena. In 2008, I was home, in my house, for a total of 3 weekends between June and the end of September. The rest of the time I was off camping and biking and scuba diving. Maybe that's why I am not worried about diving Michigan - I know I will have plenty of opportunities at hand.

Cheers,
Natalie

Natalie, since you have a dry suit then you are able to dive with us all year round. We are usually up on the St. Clair River every Sunday morning. We scrapped today due to poor viz and I have an inner ear thing going on right now.

I am not sure how to respond to any of your other posts. Alpena and Tobemory and Sanilac are not one off dive spots. These are places you can spend the next 10 years exploring. Unlike most quarries which are worth one dive and that is it.

The whole "weekends" comment made no sense to me so I am not going to respond.

Good luck diving.

Well it looks like Ted or I beat them up...damn you Ted! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom