Driver for SSC P7 LEDs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

and for those who don't have the means to machine a piece of aluminum you'd offer what advice?
:).

Space is definitely not one of the constraints in my flashlight 'design', so I scavanged a piece of aluminum heatsink from a busted hair curling iron and attached it to my MOSFET with epoxy. Of course I used thermal compound between the aluminum piece and the MOSFET, then epoxy'ed around it to secure it. Something went wrong though. I was careful not to short any leads with the aluminum heatsink, I checked the conductivity of the epoxy and the thermal compound (lots of Ohm there). When the epoxy was partially set I connected the driver and everything worked fine.
Today, after the epoxy had a chance to set completely, the driver does not work. Input 8.33V, output 0V. I don't think anything got shorted. The only explanation I can come up with is that some epoxy might have gotten under one of the small surface mount resistors or caps around the mosfet and lifted them out of place as it set. I do believe epoxy expands slightly as it sets.
At any rate, I goofed up. Any other theories on what might have gone wrong in this experiment??:). Any similar experiences?
ps. It's not all lost though. I'm just back to driving my LED straight off the LI Ion battery pack (8 18650s in parallel, I know that's a lot). Funny thing is, the LED current straight off the battery pack never exceeds 3A, which is less than the driver I just busted :).

Not sure why I didn't do this before, probably because the circuit is so trivial, but here is the MOSFET switch circuit I'm using to turn on/off my LED light.

Attachments

• divelight_mag_switch-mod.JPG
    divelight_mag_switch-mod.JPG
    308.1 KB · Views: 125
What/how do you attach the heat sink to?...could you please post a picture or two.
I was thinking about attaching a heat sink to the MOSFET since that's the component that heats up the most.
Thanks.

Simply drill a hole in the back of the heatsink for the LED ( or another) that is large enough for the coil on the driver to sit it. Then squirt some thermal silicone on the driver components ( coil size of course).

Sorry but I can show any pics as photobucket is down at the mo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom