DRIS Impact vs 1K shorty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kradatzke

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have been looking for a small recreational light for daytime diving here on the West Coast , just something to brighten things up a bit. I have decided to go with one I can wrist mount. The two I am considering are the DRIS Impact and the 1K Shorty. I believe they both us the same bulb , the major difference is the Impact is rechargeable. I generally never dive more than 2 45-50 min dives on a trip. I believe the Impact would last that long where as I think the 1K would be questionable as far as getting two dives out one set of batteries , plus the cost of batteries every dive . The Impact also has interchangeable heads , I was planning on going with the spot which is 11 degrees vrs the 1K with 9 degrees . Is there any reason to go with the shorty over the Impact? Any comments on either? Brightness / battery life , etc.

The second link is what I use for my backups. Of course the 2000 LM is hilariously overrated, closer to 4-500 than 2000.

They do have a pillbox design, which means they are almost thermally isolated, which could lead to a less than ideal life. At $16 for just the light though, I've gotten my money's worth.

or maybe get some good rechargeable batts for the 1K shorty.....

The 3AA in 1K is in series, so the mAh number doesn't increase with the cell. 3AA with 2500mAh (which is quite high for NiMH AA cell) cell is still 2500mAh just at higher voltage (1.2Vx3). With 18650, you can easily get quality 3000+mAh cell. So it is unlikely you can get better run time with 1K, not to mention Lion cell has much better load characterstic than NiMH cell.

My vote also goes to DGX600. It is basically the same light as Impact but at less than half the cost. For wrist mount with soft goodman handle. The smaller diameter of DGX is also an advantage.

The 3AA in 1K is in series, so the mAh number doesn't increase with the cell. 3AA with 2500mAh (which is quite high for NiMH AA cell) cell is still 2500mAh just at higher voltage (1.2Vx3). With 18650, you can easily get quality 3000+mAh cell. So it is unlikely you can get better run time with 1K, not to mention Lion cell has much better load characterstic than NiMH cell.

My vote also goes to DGX600. It is basically the same light as Impact but at less than half the cost. For wrist mount with soft goodman handle. The smaller diameter of DGX is also an advantage.

Hey,
don't know how much you are looking to spend and what matters the most i.e lumen, burn time , quality
but if you are looking for good combination of all above please take a look at the Light For Me small primary / back up line in
our store: Back Up and smaller Primary Lights, Light For Me Torch Light

They are extremely well built, has a well balanced burn times vs. lumen output ranging from 600 - 1600 lm and size wise just perfect.

I have attached below a few photos.
We are Americas distributors and selling / servicing these since many years now.
Let me know if you have any questions.

Be safe.
light for me yellow diving lights.jpg3XPG Mini and 4XPG led dive light comparison.jpg3XPG Mini and 4XPG led dive light size comparison.jpg3XPG_mini_tecdivegear.JPEG3XPG_mini_tecdivegear2.JPEGback up mini (2).jpgIMG_4234.jpgback up mini.jpg

Hey,
don't know how much you are looking to spend and what matters the most i.e lumen, burn time , quality
but if you are looking for good combination of all above please take a look at the Light For Me small primary / back up line in
our store: Back Up and smaller Primary Lights, Light For Me Torch Light

They are extremely well built, has a well balanced burn times vs. lumen output ranging from 600 - 1600 lm and size wise just perfect.

I have attached below a few photos.
We are Americas distributors and selling / servicing these since many years now.
Let me know if you have any questions.

Looked at prices, seems like the flashlight's body is cut from a single gold bullion. Not sure how practical that is.

Looked at prices, seems like the flashlight's body is cut from a single gold bullion. Not sure how practical that is.

Looks like right ? Which is good but actually the back of the light body comes apart (screws in) and its protected by o-rings.
Its for maintenance and easy service purposes mainly.

Looks like right ? Which is good but actually the back of the light body comes apart (screws in) and its protected by o-rings.
Its for maintenance and easy service purposes mainly.

You have misunderstood. I have referenced to it being made from gold, it was a sarcastic remark purposed to make fun at the exuberant prices that your company charges.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom