DRIS glow tubes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glo Toobs are essentially an electronic version of a chemical glow stick without the same environmental concerns. They are reef safe and emit a soft glow so divers and dive masters can keep track of each other on night dives. They are typically placed behind the diver and attached to the tank valve or neck. I used them on tropical dives where something like that was required. Glo Toobs are not bright enough to replace a flashlight. They emit about the same amount of light as the screen on my Shearwater dive computer.

Glo Toobs are essentially an electronic version of a chemical glow stick without the same environmental concerns. They are reef safe and emit a soft glow so divers and dive masters can keep track of each other on night dives. They are typically placed behind the diver and attached to the tank valve or neck. I used them on tropical dives where something like that was required. Glo Toobs are not bright enough to replace a flashlight. They emit about the same amount of light as the screen on my Shearwater dive computer.

Have you used these ones?

Have you used these ones?
Once, 10 or 12 years ago. It was placed on me as a requirement for a night dive off a boat. I've seen them used locally by recreational divers. Markers like this are not used for the types of diving I do. :)

Once, 10 or 12 years ago. It was placed on me as a requirement for a night dive off a boat. I've seen them used locally by recreational divers. Markers like this are not used for the types of diving I do. :)

Do they seem good from what you observed?

Kinda a unspoken requirement up here for night diving and I'm sick of using glow sticks.

If you are required to use a tank marker at night they beat the hell out of a glow stick. Just get them in a AAA battery or other battery you already use as there are several made over the years that take hard to find batteries.

Glo-Toobs are small flashlights. Not the chemical sticks you’re thinking of.
Good catch. The name fooled me.

The other bonus of the product I linked was that it can be used as a low power flashlight by unsnapping the glow cap. And at $18 bucks it does not break the bank.

Kinda a unspoken requirement up here for night diving and I'm sick of using glow sticks.
From what I've seen they seem pretty solid and reliable. They use an off size battery, easy to get online or at most Walgreens. You could also call DRIS and ask them specifics, they're pretty straight forward with gear questions and recommendations.

I've owned two of these for many years. Other than the annoying feature of having wayyyyy to many flashing/pulsing modes and a relatively confusing method for setting which one you want they work great. I lost one a few years ago due to battery corrosion, but other than that they have been flawless. I've used them in Bonaire many times (ie: hanging off the ladder of oil slick leap) and you can see them from hundreds of feet away. If you are using them on your tank to mark your buddy (which seems silly unless you are diving in a large group, just use their flashlight to locate them), you need to know they don't float and can be hard to position where you can actually see the marker from multiple angles. I've never really used them as tank markers due to this, and only used to mark my exit point. That said, if you have a light up SMB, that would work better as an exit marker (much more surface area).

But you mentioned you wanted to use these as a buddy locator (not an exit marker), so I'm not sure it's your best option due to the fact that they don't float.

Finally, if you search amazon you will see they also have multiple AAA version's too! Including a color changing one called the Aurora, which you might prefer as the batteries are slightly easier to come by (not that CR123A is that hard to find) and that way you can choose your color vs being tied to one from the factory.

I wound up getting some that run off AAA batteries to try out for 16 bucks a piece I figured why not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom