Drinking & Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The knowledge that a potential dive buddy habitually uses mind-altering substances undermines my confidence in them as a dive buddy. I may dive with them, but not as a dive buddy, per se.

I am not trying to offend anyone here, it's just that I have seen what alcohol and drugs do to people and I want no part of it.

And you would define 'habitually' as??

Peace,
Greg

I personally wouldn't dive with someone who doesn't drink. If you haven't been drunk, how are you going to react to being narc'ed?

Besides, I don't like uptight, goody-goody people. :dork2: :mooner:

I am quite aware that I get narked easily and dive with that in mind. And who's being "goody-goody?" I don't try to make others live as I choose to live. I just don't want their choices to have an adverse impact on me.

I thought that a chat forum like this was the modern form of a soap box

Not necessarily. It can be used as a soap box, but I see it as a venue for discussing various topics.

I may dive in the company of a diver who drinks, but I will not buddy with them

It's up to you to determine what your criteria for buddy selection are, so I'm not going to bash you for it. If I applied the same rule, it would probably eliminate 95% of the people I buddy with (both friends & instabuddies), and I would have missed out on diving with some great divers (including most if not all of my instructors) and people. Like you I also enjoy the peace & serenity of a solo dive, but there are plenty of times when it's nice to have a good buddy along too

Personally I don't believe that someone who doesn't drink is automatically a good buddy, any more than I believe that someone who does is a bad buddy. I can't understand the logic behind your statement "If find myself diving with people who are drinkers, I go into the water with the knowledge that I am on my own if anything goes wrong" as it implies that they couldn't or wouldn't help you

Frankly I think you're letting your own morals colour your judgement, but that's your call

It's up to you to determine what your criteria for buddy selection are, so I'm not going to bash you for it. If I applied the same rule, it would probably eliminate 95% of the people I buddy with (both friends & instabuddies), and I would have missed out on diving with some great divers (including most if not all of my instructors) and people. Like you I also enjoy the peace & serenity of a solo dive, but there are plenty of times when it's nice to have a good buddy along too

Personally I don't believe that someone who doesn't drink is automatically a good buddy, any more than I believe that someone who does is a bad buddy. I can't understand the logic behind your statement "If find myself diving with people who are drinkers, I go into the water with the knowledge that I am on my own if anything goes wrong" as it implies that they couldn't or wouldn't help you

Frankly I think you're letting your own morals colour your judgement, but that's your call

My choice to not drink alcohol is not based on morals. Quite frankly, I'm somewhat of a control freak when it comes to my own mind. I cannot stand the idea of not being in complete control of my thoughts and actions. I do enough stupid stuff without adding alcohol to the mix. Once, twenty years ago, I had a kidney stone and it was extremely painful. At the hospital, they gave me morphine for the pain and I hated what it did to me. The impairment to my faculties was unacceptable. I was happy when the stone was removed and I could get back to normal.

How can I be sure that the person I'm diving with is completely free of the effects of the alcohol they imbibed the night before? How can I be sure that they aren't still impaired enough to not notice if I'm having trouble? I can't, so I feel the safest thing to do is to dive as if I am alone and within limits that I know I can handle on my own.

My choice to not drink alcohol is not based on morals. Quite frankly, I'm somewhat of a control freak when it comes to my own mind. I cannot stand the idea of not being in complete control of my thoughts and actions. Once, twenty years ago, I had a kidney stone and it was extremely painful. At the hospital, they gave me morphine for the pain and I hated what it did to me. The impairment to my faculties was unacceptable.
I was happy when the stone was removed and I could get back to normal.

Interesting that you would chose a recreational activity were you could experience impairment without warning or reason.

Interesting that you would chose a recreational activity were you could experience impairment without warning or reason.

Odd, isn't it? However, I generally dive shallower than 70 feet for that very reason. Back in the 1970s, I went to 130 feet once and felt the effects of IGN. I didn't like it and haven't been that deep since. I don't dive to go deep, anyway, so staying in relatively shallow water doesn't bother me.

With the OP's permission, I would like to hijack this thread for a moment. My aversion to narcosis has led me to consider getting a nitrox cert. The one deep dive I would like to do is the U-85 and maybe the U-352. Both of these are deeper than 100 feet and I know I would get narked. Would nitrox be of benefit to me for this dive? I haven't really done much reading about nitrox and the thought of using it is a recent development. No one I dive with uses it.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom