Drinking & Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMHO if you are in any way affected by alcohol, be it even a minor lack of co-ordination/judgement or even dehydration, then (in my Soup Nazi voice from Seinfeld) "No dive for you!"

The answer is , it depends. How many hours did you spend in the water before noon, and at what depths. What is you build and conditioning? How deep and for how long is your 3:00 profile? Will there be repetitive dives? How old are you? Alcohol slows the metabolism, and that includes the off-gassing process. The real question is this: Why is this an issue? If you spend thousand of dollars to go on a dive trip, II would think you do not want to miss a dive for one beer, and Ithat you would not increase any risk factors over which you have control. When I am leading divers, I strictly follow the no drinking rule, and I want the last drin to have been at least 8 hours before a dive, preferable 12.
DivemasterDennis

It will have small affect on motor skills. Very similar to DMV blood alcohol tables. These are rough approximations and you can still be 'intoxicated' with BAC even if you went by the tables. You may not be under the influene but a small amount of alcohol may still be in your system. The dive tables as well are rough approximations. You can still get nitrogen narcosis and the bends even when adhering to the dive tables. Dehydration and alcohol increase these chances even when diving within the limits. So, why chance it? Do you really have to have a beer at lunch when still plan to dive later?

Back
Top Bottom