Drinking & Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drinking is not my "lifestyle" and yes, I can modify my behavior by not drinking for 24 hours before a dive. I assume you want me to rise to your adolescent challange to prove something. Sorry, ain't gonna happen. Go wild, do you you want to do before you make one of your supremely macho uber-dangerous dives. No problem with me.

lol

No, my point was that everyone in this thread has the same attitude as you - we're all prepared to modify our behaviour according to the 'rules', if those rules make sense and if the reward for behaviour modification is perceived to be worth the change

Nobody is saying get drunk and go diving, nobody is saying they can't live without a beer, nobody is saying drinking is more important than diving

I thought the point of the thread was about where the line is drawn, and what the 'rules' are based on - reality, personal opinion or safety standards. Drinking isn't your lifestyle or anyone else's posting in this thread - but it's a part of your lifestyle. You have your standards, which may be different to others - for example, Paladin, who wouldn't dive with you anyway. That's his standard, and good for him

Go ahead & assume that's a challenge if you want - you know what they say about assumptions. No problem with me

we're all prepared to modify our behaviour according to the 'rules', if those rules make sense and if the reward for behaviour modification is perceived to be worth the change

Nobody is saying get drunk and go diving, nobody is saying they can't live without a beer, nobody is saying drinking is more important than diving

Works for me :thumb:

I would be more worried about someone who consumed no alcohol within 24 hours of a dive but who was not properly hydrated and/or rested than I would about someone who was well hydrated and rested but had a couple of beers the night before over dinner; based on what I've seen, the former is more likely to get bent than the latter, all other things being equal. I've seen teetotallers get bent on rec dives after having nothing but a coffee before the morning dive

Then again apparently I'm a 'supremely macho uber-dangerous diver' so what would I know

lol

No, my point was that everyone in this thread has the same attitude as you - we're all prepared to modify our behaviour according to the 'rules', if those rules make sense and if the reward for behaviour modification is perceived to be worth the change

See, you totally agree with me. Good on you.

I think this thread has gotten away from the original question, and headed somewhere else.
I think it's a lively debate about various peoples take on the effects of a beer or two before a dive.
The original poster was referring to a live aboard, which straightaway makes you subject to the rules of the captain.
If he says no .... Then no it is. That's the way it works in the sea.
I think a more important point is that even though it is an easy recreational dive, I personally think that alcohol and diving don't mix.
Don't get me wrong, I am no teetotaller, and have drunk my fair share and more, based in Scotland and diving in the North Sea with only other rig workers for company.
But I really believe that the possibility for something to go wrong lurks a hairs breadth behind a completely innocuous dive.
And when that something goes wrong, you need to bring your 'A' game with you. Unfortunately, a couple of beers will deprive you of that edge.
If it was a game of bridge, or even golf, I would say go for it.
Not when you depend on a life support system of compressed air or some more exotic cocktail at depth.

Or maybe I'm just getting old.

The original poster was referring to a live aboard,..

Actually he wasn't - he was just using that as an example of one set of rules about pre-dive drinking

Actually he wasn't - he was just using that as an example of one set of rules about pre-dive drinking

You are right. I just re-read his post.
About drinking and diving in general, I still stand by my post.

Just got back from Cozumel, Drank every day and dove five of the days I was there. Checked my pulse this morning and I am still alive.
That being said I did not dive drunk. I was stone cold sober every dive and wasn't suffering from any sort of hangover.
I am not saying it is for anyone else but I feel safe doing this and will probably do it again. You do whatever you feel is best for yourself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom