Drinking & Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I admit, too many posts for me to read. My own rule is never drink at all before a dive, or any the night before. It's OK after the dive with no dives the next day. I'm sure it's OK to fudge somewhat on that, but that's my take.

I'm still thinking "8 hrs bottle to throttle" is a good adage (for flying, diving, working and dating). And as a youth, I was a big offender all around.

Tim...this was in the old days. Now the adage is 12 hours bottle to throttle (anyway in the US and Canada Armed Forces).

I never drink alcoholic beverages during the day if I am diving. After my last dive of the day I will drink in moderation... one or two drinks perhaps and I will hydrate plentifully.

:coffee: I abstain if diving in drysuit as mine is not utility valve equipped

But would each of them dive with you?

Thal offered once, but since my son left Hawaii for a unit in South Carolina, I don't have an excuse to go. I met Bob a few years ago in Coz (2006-2007(?) at La Choza), and he very kindly offered to lend me gear and take me on a few dives if I was ever in the PNW. I visited my son at Fort Lewis, Washington after that, but we were there to help with the birth of my grandaughter, and I didn't have a split second to go diving. (It was a harrowing birth).
I'm thinking how AWESOME dives with either of these guys would be. Both great divers, terrific local knowledge. I gotta figure out a way to make it happen.
I'm sure NetDoc and Paladin would be as accommodating if I asked real nice. It would be interesting.

Last edited:
Thal offered once, but since my son left Hawaii for a unit in South Carolina, I don't have an excuse to go. I met Bob a few years ago in Coz (2006-2007(?) at La Choza), and he very kindly offered to lend me gear and take me on a few dives if I was ever in the PNW. I visited my son at Fort Lewis, Washington after that, but we were there to help with the birth of my grandaughter, and I didn't have a split second to go diving. (It was a harrowing birth).
I'm thinking how AWESOME dives with either of these guys would be. Both great divers, terrific local knowledge. I gotta figure out a way to make it happen.
I'm sure NetDoc and Paladin would be as accommodating if I asked real nice. It would be interesting.

The question I asked related to if you admitted having a drink within the previous 24 hours. Of those you mention, I would guess some would and some would not.

Anytime you are in Key Largo, I would gladly show you my back yard. I know, I know... its a tough life, but someone has to live it! :D

The question I asked related to if you admitted having a drink within the previous 24 hours. Of those you mention, I would guess some would and some would not.

If I made plans to dive with someone, I would make my pre-dive drinking plans the same as any other aspect of the dive plan. Just as we would need to decide on max depth, turn pressure, overhead penetration and the duration of the dive; we would have to agree on limits to pre-dive drinking.
My limit would be 10 hours and a night's sleep. Bob and Doc's are probably similar. Thal is stricter, requiring 24 hours from drinking to diving. If the dive is worth making I can adjust my limits and behavior, just as I adjust my dive parameters to each paticular dive.
I enjoy a few drinks after the dives of the day are over. I'm not going on dive trips to drink. If I can get in some great dives with some really interesting divers, I'll adjust my behavior, the same as any other aspect of a dive plan is adjusted.
Paladin indicates he doesn't want to dive with anyone who drinks at all. It's his choice and I respect his right to make it. I see no reason to try to change his mind, nor is it up to me to tell him it's wrong.

So you're happy to change your lifestyle to suit other people, but only to a certain degree & when you feel the reward is worth the effort

So you're happy to change your lifestyle to suit other people, but only to a certain degree & when you feel the reward is worth the effort
Drinking is not my "lifestyle" and yes, I can modify my behavior by not drinking for 24 hours before a dive.
I assume you want me to rise to your adolescent challange to prove something. Sorry, ain't gonna happen. Go wild, do you you want to do before you make one of your supremely macho uber-dangerous dives. No problem with me.

We all are to some degree or another. What you just wrote is basically the definition of "relationship" ... whether it's with a spouse, room mate, or dive buddy ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Drinking is not my "lifestyle"
<In a grating faux upper-class English accent>"I'm Robin Leach, with lifestyles of the poor and anonymous, toasting your Budweiser wishes and frankfurter dreams."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom