drifting versus being carried away

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Go figure.. it really is alarming since misunderstanding can have such dire consequences!

Karen may not still be monitoring the thread, but I noticed she said "flat palm holding the other hand showing thumbs up." I would not have known that signal myself, but on the other hand, it doesn't sound like the palm was extended vertically in a "hold/wait here" gesture, exactly. I read it as the thumbs up hand sitting on top of the open palm, like it was a little platform.

However it was though, I'm glad to have noticed this thread today; good to remember to clarify signals.

Go figure.. it really is alarming since misunderstanding can have such dire consequences!

Karen may not still be monitoring the thread, but I noticed she said "flat palm holding the other hand showing thumbs up." I would not have known that signal myself, but on the other hand, it doesn't sound like the palm was extended vertically in a "hold/wait here" gesture, exactly. I read it as the thumbs up hand sitting on top of the open palm, like it was a little platform.

However it was though, I'm glad to have noticed this thread today; good to remember to clarify signals.

Well, there really should be standardized set of hand signals that EVERY dive shop uses. If they say they are a PADI or whatever certified shop, all hand signal must be the same. This way the language barrier does not pose a threat: no need to explain how this particular shop does their hand signals.

I wonder how many close calls or worse have happened because a dive master misunderstood a diver...

It just baffles me that something as critical "how much air?" or answering that question, or "Abort Dive" would not be standardized. Also, don't certification agencies like PADI have rules for dive shops to follow, including underwater communication?

Back
Top Bottom