drifting versus being carried away

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

String:
Different agencies different signals i guess. We dont have a distance "ok" signal trained.

Then again youre never really more than 3m from a buddy (more than that you wont see them) so its probably not needed.

So what do you do if you need to signal someone on shore or on a boat that you are ok?, or another buddy team on the surface if they have some reason to want to check that you're ok? Just curious.

Stirling:
Do you mean with one hand he showed a flat palm ("stop") and with the other he signaled thumb's up?

yes.. that's what he did.. and I went back and pulled my SSI training book, and of all the signals in my SSI book, ABORT is not in there. there is a stop or level off here with the flat of the palm but nothing to abort and nothing that is similar to the abort signal.

like i said, i lulled myself into a false security that since i was not doing technical diving, unless me or my buddy ran out of air, we would have no need to abort a dive. that is MY lesson learned.

maggs_the:
yes.. that's what he did.. and I went back and pulled my SSI training book, and of all the signals in my SSI book, ABORT is not in there. there is a stop or level off here with the flat of the palm but nothing to abort and nothing that is similar to the abort signal.

like i said, i lulled myself into a false security that since i was not doing technical diving, unless me or my buddy ran out of air, we would have no need to abort a dive. that is MY lesson learned.

I would also have taken that signal as "wait here Im going topside".
sorry you had a bad experience :( Pre dive briefs are excellent. My regular buddy is my husband and we make sure to get on the same page before each dive even if we think we know what the other is thinking.

Im not sure how every else does it but if one of us thumbs up we abort the dive. Im not sure thats in the padi book but I will look. I do know our instructor taught us that way.

Im sorry to babble on but I just remembered one time my husband gave me the out of air signal to abort the dive. You know like "cut"? Scared me to bits lol but it was a good out of air drill anyway.

I'm SSI too, If someone flashed that to me, me being new and all, I'd probably take it the same way, "wait here, I'm going up"....ok whatever dude. But now I'll take it as any thumb in the up position, I'm heading up, screw the other hand. Why not just give the thumbs up to ascend, why the other hand though, really what's the point. What's the difference between abort and Go up? Just checked my SSI OW book and the stop sign means Stop/Hold it/Stay there.

Rick Inman:
If I see a thumb and a guy heading for the surface, I am so outta' there.
However, if I was in Wales and some guy started pounding his head, I don't know what I'd do (maybe stay away from the fish n' chips).
:rofl:

shark.byte.usa:
I'm SSI too, If someone flashed that to me, me being new and all, I'd probably take it the same way, "wait here, I'm going up"....ok whatever dude. But now I'll take it as any thumb in the up position, I'm heading up, screw the other hand. Why not just give the thumbs up to ascend, why the other hand though, really what's the point. What's the difference between abort and Go up? Just checked my SSI OW book and the stop sign means Stop/Hold it/Stay there.

I dont know for sure because I was not there but sounds like the person was saying wait here Im going topside. I dont know mabe he got confused or distracted. Either way in that situation if the person Im diving with gives a thumbs up , even if its with another signal, Im following :) wether they like it or not.

shark.byte.usa:

and YOU are the exact reason i posted my "stupidity" for the world to see... i wanted to make sure i put it out there so some other unsuspecting newbie like me didnt make the same mistaken presumption... just like telling my niece all my embarrassing moments with boys, maybe someone can learn from my mistakes :D ROTF

ScubaTwo:
I dont know for sure because I was not there but sounds like the person was saying wait here Im going topside. I dont know mabe he got confused or distracted. Either way in that situation if the person Im diving with gives a thumbs up , even if its with another signal, Im following :) wether they like it or not.

from this point on, you can bet me too!

maggs_the:
and YOU are the exact reason i posted my "stupidity" for the world to see...
And I thank you, although you weren't the only one in your dive party to make this mistake, and a few of us on here would have interpreted it the same way, so stupidity may be a little harsh....LIVE & LEARN.

Sidenote: Still seems absolutely absurd to me, that in recreational diving, some would complicate things with an Abort hand signal, why not just GO UP, they both demand the same outcome, some hand signals are not universal beit by region or training agency, correct? But isn't GO UP universal?? Hey didn't Fonzi go Scuba Diving on one of the California Happy Days episodes, bet his buddy pissed :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom