drifting versus being carried away

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shark.byte.usa:
Hey didn't Fonzi go Scuba Diving on one of the California Happy Days episodes, bet his buddy pissed :D

I thought he just 'jumped the shark', as did the entire series that episode. :11ztongue

Interesting thread. I was taught the following, a closed fist moved from you towards the other person means "you wait" and a thumbs up means ascend or abort. I would not have known what the open palm meant, but the thumbs up would have got my attention.

According to the PADI book, a closed fist towards the other diver, like a punching motion means danger. A closed fist at the chest area in a small hitting the chest motion means low on air. The open palm still means stop. Im sure the last one is the same in all agencies. It is just too universal a signal.

I think one other thing that should be considered in the future is the environment you are diving in. If the current was as strong as you say it was, if the DM had surfaced just to check the reference point, there is no possible way he would have got back down to where you was at. It would have been difficult enough in normal conditions.

maggs_the:
he used PADI signal of flat palm holding other hand showing thumb's up.. I'm SSI but to be honest,

SSI uses a plain old thumbs up.

Honestly, I wouldn't have any idea what he was saying either when he got both hands involved.

I don't know why people complicate things. All he needed was a thumbs up.

Terry

Interesting thread.. worth a :bump:

I wouldn't have understood his hand signal either I think...but I was of the understanding that ending a dive was signaled with both arms crossed like and x, followed by thumbs over the shoulder for, 'lets head back, or thumb(s) indicating up for straight up...

Am I correct?

btw I'm SSi trained

I wouldn't have understood his hand signal either I think...but I was of the understanding that ending a dive was signaled with both arms crossed like and x, followed by thumbs over the shoulder for, 'lets head back, or thumb(s) indicating up for straight up...

Am I correct?

btw I'm SSi trained

I would have thought he was signaling: I'm cold, let's end the dive. Going through these posts let me know I need to review my signals. I've never seen of a lot of these signals.

why I figured it was worth a bump. I haven't seen half these either.. but thumb pointing towards the surface is good enough for me any time!

I would also have taken that signal as "wait here Im going topside".
sorry you had a bad experience :( Pre dive briefs are excellent. My regular buddy is my husband and we make sure to get on the same page before each dive even if we think we know what the other is thinking.

When I went diving this Fall in the Caribbean, 3 different outfits had 3 different ways to ask for tank pressure, and the communicate that information too, all were different from the one I was taught at our local dive shop...

I wonder why this is happening, since air pressure is kind of important... :idk:

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom