"Drifting Dan" Carlock wins $1.68 million after being left at sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He made at least two major errors, probably more, he lost contact with his buddies, and he didn't stay within the structure of the oil rig.

So exactly how does one stay in contact with buddies when one can't equalize and his or her buddies keep going down. Being buddies works both ways in case you didn't know it.

So exactly how does one stay in contact with buddies when one can't equalize and his or her buddies keep going down. Being buddies works both ways in case you didn't know it.
First there would need to be communications between you and your bud(s) prior to entering the water. Procedures and communications should be reviewed.
Communications could be banging on the tank with a knife, getting their attention by waving your light, or shooting them in the a$$ with your speargun (kidding). Whatever procedures you agreed upon pre dive.
The last thing you do if loose contact is descend to 108' when you think you see your buddy's bubbles.

The last thing you do if loose contact is descend to 108' when you think you see your buddy's bubbles.

Actually, I don't think you ever do that unless you are 110% certain you'll get there safely *and* back to the surface safely and the bubbles are indeed your buddies'. It could be someone else's bubbles and at a far deeper depth than you realize. The last thing after making noise or searching is to do a proper ascent to the surface where they also should be doing the same and meet up. Hoefully you have an SMB you can shoot so them on the surface can spot you early before any drifting.

The last thing after making noise or searching is to do a proper ascent to the surface where they also should be doing the same and meet up.
Except in Dan's case. He didn't have an actual buddy. He asked if he could tag along with the buddy group. When they didn't see him underwater they assumed he either tagged along with someone else or didn't dive. There was never any agreement that they would be his buddies. He still would have been okay if he had remained within the legs of the rig or aborted his dive and surfaced near the rig. Relying on others to watch you, then expecting the boat to come and pick him up rather than attempting to swim toward it were two of Dan's biggest mistakes. His first mistake was signing up for a trip he was not prepared for. He didn't have the experience nor had he dived in several months. Diving in 300-800 feet of water ten miles offshore is a bad place to refresh your diving skills, or lack thereof.

The guy is 1.6 million richer. Doesn't sound like he made any mistakes to me.

The guy is 1.6 million richer. Doesn't sound like he made any mistakes to me.

I believe that appeal is still pending. End result might very well be different. If this court decision stays as it stands now the whole diving industry in US will feel the result. 3rd party instructors not being able to teach on the boats etc... Not a good thing for diving industry.

Maybe, but it's also not a good thing for the dive industry to leave divers behind. No matter how stupid Driftin' Dan might have been, there was absolutely, absolutely, absolutely no excuse for the boat miscounting. Clearly the jury saw that. Also, they probably saw Open Water, a movie which likely eclipsed any damage Dan could have done to the dive industry even though it was primarily fictional.

how many of us say all i need is a ride to the dive site ill take care of myself. the diver should have been back on the boat and if not the operator should have noticed .all are at fault here but the diving public really got ripped off the diver deserved a settelmentl

and in another spelling challenged post, udtfire said

plan to survive yes they suck there dive planning and skill set . that being said as a dive you are responsiable for your own safety and dive. get your skills to the point that the only thing you need out of a dive boat is a ride lol. stop think breath then solve the problem. dont know where you live but come get in the water with use we are independent and fun

Can we at least agree he was entitled to half his money back for the trip since he only got a one-way ride?

Maybe, but it's also not a good thing for the dive industry to leave divers behind. No matter how stupid Driftin' Dan might have been, there was absolutely, absolutely, absolutely no excuse for the boat miscounting. Clearly the jury saw that. Also, they probably saw Open Water, a movie which likely eclipsed any damage Dan could have done to the dive industry even though it was primarily fictional.

How wrong are they, that's the real question?
I couldn't understand 1.68 million if he was dead, even crippled by the propeller blade $168,000 is closer to the truth......
What is this amount for??? PAIN AND SUFFERING!!!
it's bullsh!t man, it's just lawyers in the coin feeding frenzy.......
Justice has become a JOKE!
Get judge Judy onto it, she'll make em refund the dive fee.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom