"Drifting Dan" Carlock wins $1.68 million after being left at sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't have any problem with the finding of negligence (or contributory negligence for that matter), but the size of jury awards in the US never ceases to astonish me. $1.68 million for 5 hours floating around at sea? That is a good day's work. Tell me there isn't anyone on the board who wouldn't take that deal.

I would have taken this deal at $900,000... the amount Dan turned down from the insurance company as a settlement four years ago.

You're kidding, right? $900k was offered 4 years ago? If so, I have even less respect for him than i did 5 minutes ago. And it wasn't all that high then.

I would have taken this deal at $900,000... the amount Dan turned down from the insurance company as a settlement four years ago.

Do you have anything to support this or is this something you heard 3rd,
4th.....hand?

Oh and welcome to ScubaBoard. :D

Hey do you mind pasting the text here... I don't want to have to subscribe but would like to read it..:)

I don't want to either. I think there was a time limit for seeing it without subscribing. Here are other reports from The Star:

Sixteen survive 18-hour ordeal at sea

KEMAMAN (Bernama): Sixteen people, one of them a four-year-old boy, survived an 18-hour ordeal floating at sea after their boat sank near Pulau Tenggol off Dungun Saturday evening.

The boy, Mohd Danial Aiman Mohd Zulkifli, his mother Noraini Sosilawati, 33, who is four months pregnant, and a man, Badrul Hisham Shariman, 40, are in critical condition, according Marine Operations Force (MOF) Region 3 chief ACP Mohd Saleh Mat Jani.

All 16 of them were rescued by the MOF this morning and brought to the MOF marine base here at about 11am.

They were in a weakened state and suffering from the cold when spotted by searching MOF personnel 16 nautical miles south of the island, said Mohd Saleh.

Mohd Daniel, four, and his father Mohd Zulkifli Ahmad Daud, 33, talking to reporters at the hospital. ZABIDI TUSIN/The Star They were rushed to the Kemaman Hospital, he added.

He said the skipper managed to inform his employer that the vessel was in trouble before it sank. The employer immediately conducted a search and contacted the authorities and police. Kuala Terengganu Maritime District 9 head of enforcement Capt Adam Salleh said a search-and-rescue team was despatched soon after the MOF received the report.

Besides MOF personnel, 100 officers and personnel of the Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency (MMEA), fire and rescue personnel as well as Royal Malaysian Navy personnel also took part in the SAR.

"The wind was strong, between 50 and 60 knots, and the sea was rough during the mishap.

"Fortunately, all of them were wearing their life jackets. The rescue operation also took some time because of the bad weather which reduced visibility," he said.

Adam advised tourists not to visit the island during the wet season because the wind and sea conditions could be dangerous for small vessels.

It was reported earlier that a boat carrying 15 local tourists, including a child, went missing in the waters of Pulau Tenggol, Dungun.

KUALA TERENGGANU: A boat carrying 15 local tourists, including a child, is missing in the waters of Pulau Tenggol, Dungun.

Dungun district police chief Supt Dahlan Mohd Noor said the incident happened about 20 minutes after the boat carrying seven men, seven women and a child left the island following some scuba-diving activity yesterday evening.

“Communication with the boat was lost at 6.30pm. At this moment, we do not know the fate of the 15 tourists and whether the boat has capsized or is seeking shelter at one of the small islands nearby,” he said.

Dahlan said the identities of the passengers were also not known as yet.

The Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency and East Region Marine Operations Force mounted a search and rescue operation upon receiving a report on the missing boat.

It is learnt that the sea was turbulent because of the monsoon season. — Bernama

Thanks for that information. Sounds like a terrible ordeal!

I was adrift for some time in Thailand about 10 years ago. My beautiful Dutch dive buddy and I surfaced and discovered there was no dive boat in sight. I was all alone with her. We drifted together... until the dive boat realized we had gone all the way around the island and came to pick us up. Heck I paid them $10 to let me continue drifting with her and pick us up later.

I was adrift for some time in Thailand about 10 years ago. My beautiful Dutch dive buddy and I surfaced and discovered there was no dive boat in sight. I was all alone with her. We drifted together... until the dive boat realized we had gone all the way around the island and came to pick us up. Heck I paid them $10 to let me continue drifting with her and pick us up later.

Why am I picturing the ending of classic Bond film? :wink:

how many of us say all i need is a ride to the dive site ill take care of myself. the diver should have been back on the boat and if not the operator should have noticed .all are at fault here but the diving public really got ripped off the diver deserved a settelment but 1.6 really what was the damages he wets the bed every time he hears water or he cant perform in the hot tub oh i know during shark week he folds up in the fetal position in his closet thats a lot of damages by 1.6 really lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom