Drift Diving - Coz?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for the positive words. My sense of adventure way outweighs my nervous feelings about this drift/live boating experience. I wouldn't miss it for the world!

110 days 'tl Cozumel!!

Walter:
Live boating is when you drift with the current, you are not attached to the boat and you have no surface float. Take a whistle and a safety sausage - you could need them. I'd recommend shooting the sausage from your safety stop to lessen the chances of being hit by a boat when you surface.

Walter,

I'm curious - you advocate shooting the sausage from a spool at 15'...? I suppose a lift bag would work just as well - just not as high for surface visability. (I make mention due to the different openings, sausages are typically orally inflated - while a bag could be deployed using octo.)

Do the boats in Coz utilize tag lines...? If the current is that evident - I can see it becomeing a hassle deploying the tag line each time a diver comes up, loading them in, pulling in the line, then shuttling over to the next pair...

netmage:
Walter,

I'm curious - you advocate shooting the sausage from a spool at 15'...? I suppose a lift bag would work just as well - just not as high for surface visability. (I make mention due to the different openings, sausages are typically orally inflated - while a bag could be deployed using octo.)

Do the boats in Coz utilize tag lines...? If the current is that evident - I can see it becomeing a hassle deploying the tag line each time a diver comes up, loading them in, pulling in the line, then shuttling over to the next pair...

Most sausages are easily inflated with your octo as well but you can exhale into the sausage but purge can be used. Lines are used from boats but not until the group appears at surface. Typically divers do not surface in pairs or individually unless there is an emergency. DM keep everyone together and ascend as group. Too dangerous to have divers popping up at surface all over. In high season there are way too many boats running around.

5615mike:
Typically divers do not surface in pairs or individually unless there is an emergency. DM keep everyone together and ascend as group
Mike, have you personally experienced this ? In my experience the divers always surface in buddy pairs after the DM has sent up a sausage. I asked several dive ops and they use the same procedure. Who were you diving with that surfaced everyone as a group ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom