Drift Diving - Coz?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the comment. If just recently certified divers
can do it, I know my husband I will be fine. :)
We are going out (here in Indiana) though in a few weekends to get some practice dives in, so we feel more confident.

Thanks,
Jennifer

Could anyone tell me how the current in Cozumel compares to West Palm Beach? I realize the current varies quite a bit, I'm just trying to get a rough idea?

Thanks

I was in West Palm Beach 2 or 3 weeks ago and we had some pretty good currents. I'd say they're comparable.

Currents are similar off Palm Beach to what you find diving Cozumel. Off Palm Beach, the standard practice is float diving which is safer than live boating. I have not heard of wild currents off Palm Beach that do hit Cozumel from time to time. Some friends were diving Cozumel in 2000 when they were caught in currents that started to take them down the wall. Two of them had video cameras on this dive. There are times you can see the bubbles going down. Some of the people caught in this current were taken down, then up, then back down etc. They were unable to control their ascent speed or make safety stops. Five of them were bent as a result of their wild ride.

Gee Walter,

You're really cheery today. :)

Squarepants, I made my 13th dive in Cozumel. Walter's right, of course, something can always go wrong, but as little experience as I had, I found it very comfortable.

Like someone said earlier; if you get your buoyancy right, it just feels like you're flying across the surface.

It was great! Nothing like it!

I was lucky enough to do my first open water dive in cozumel in 1979. It was great drift diving back then as it is now. One thing to remember, if you do a night boat dive be VERY VERY careful on returning. The boats will run over you, they can't see you or don't care. My daughter and I had a boat run over the top of us when we just 10' under.:mgun:

Texasscuba once bubbled...
I was lucky enough to do my first open water dive in cozumel in 1979. It was great drift diving back then as it is now. One thing to remember, if you do a night boat dive be VERY VERY careful on returning. The boats will run over you, they can't see you or don't care. My daughter and I had a boat run over the top of us when we just 10' under.
One needs to be extremely careful of boats on the ascent portion of every dive. On night dives, you should (and of course I'm not saying you didn't) point your lights straight up as you ascend.

I wasn't that nervous, but now I am. Holy cow! I don't want to get bent. How do we research to figure where and when the currents are safer for us?

:eek:

Squarepants don't worry so much, remember thousands go to Cozumel every year and very few have problems. Get with a good dive shop, good DM, and just enjoy. Like I posted earlier, I went to Coz. in '79 for my open water checkout dives. The only water I had dove in before was the pool. I did just fine, no one died that trip. A lot of divers are just like you, their first time drifting.

:tinker:

squarepants once bubbled...
I wasn't that nervous, but now I am. Holy cow! I don't want to get bent. How do we research to figure where and when the currents are safer for us?

Don't worry, be happy. In many dives over 10+ years aound Cozumel, I have only once experienced any sort of downwelling; it was minor, and a few kicks out from the wall got me out of it. I'll bet you can find a horror story attached to any dive location you choose.

Diving is all about risk management, and you play the odds every time you dive. Or fly on a plane, or drive your car on the highway, or cross the street, for that matter. Nothing is 100% safe. You hedge your bets by maximizing your preparedness to handle situations as they arise, and you go for it.

The drift diving around Cozumel is some of the best diving, hell, some of the best life experience, I have ever had. I can't wait to go back there and do it some more.

Don't worry
'Bout a thing
Ev'ry little thing
Gonna be all right...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom