Drift Diving and Spearfishing in Strong Current; Deep Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dumpsterDiver

Banned
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
A recent video of some scuba spearing on a drift dive in Palm Beach County. Depth was about 120 to 135 feet. Towing a streamlined float with about 450 ft of dynema line. Video was shot with a head mounted Go Pro 3 (black) using the new mako spearguns red filter. Overcast conditions. Got my hands full with lift bags, speargun and reel and reef hook… This current is not really strong for this location, but you can see how easy it is to get separated in a few moments. Riding this current is definitely an advanced dive.

Jupiter Deep Ledge: Scuba Spearfishing - YouTube

[video=youtube_share;JIN1uz94HNQ]http://youtu.be/JIN1uz94HNQ[/video]

A recent video of some scuba spearing on a drift dive in Palm Beach County. Depth was about 120 to 135 feet. Towing a streamlined float with about 450 ft of dynema line. Video was shot with a head mounted Go Pro 3 (black) using the new mako spearguns red filter. Overcast conditions. Got my hands full with lift bags, speargun and reel and reef hook… This current is not really strong for this location, but you can see how easy it is to get separated in a few moments. Riding this current is definitely an advanced dive.

Jupiter Deep Ledge: Scuba Spearfishing - YouTube

[video=youtube_share;JIN1uz94HNQ]http://youtu.be/JIN1uz94HNQ[/video]

DD, this was a beautiful day to be on the deep ledge...I am jealous!!! Thanks for posting the video.

I envy you guys can do that on your country ey? Spearfishing while using a scuba gear. Well here in PH we cannot do that its againts the law. For me it is not fair for the fish... Well what we do here is Free Dive spear fishing.. thats more challenging.

Btw... nice drift diving... We also got those 5km/hr drift dive sites here at PG,PH.

I envy you guys can do that on your country ey? Spearfishing while using a scuba gear. Well here in PH we cannot do that its againts the law. For me it is not fair for the fish... Well what we do here is Free Dive spear fishing.. thats more challenging.

Btw... nice drift diving... We also got those 5km/hr drift dive sites here at PG,PH.

Yeah freediving is more challenging. We do that sometimes, but scuba spearfishing is a lot more challenging than using hook and line.

Vinx,
We do have some places where some of us will freedive Spearfish....places like Horseshoe Reef, where a crown comes up to 40 feet, an inshore ledge drops to 60, and an offshore side that slowly works down below 90.... However, the vast majority of our good spearfishing sites--places with really BIG fish ( not the micro sized I saw when I dove places like the Med off of Italy), are over deep water that less than 1 percent of all freedive spearfisherman would be effective in ( or have fun in). The deep Jupiter ledge is such a site....112 feet on the top of the ledge, dropping to 150 feet on the floor..Huge influxes of Pelagic with reef, and some amazing encounters. My old spearfishing buddy Craig Suavely used to freedive this ledge with Terry Maas, but of the many hundreds of freedive spearfisherman we have in South Florida, I doubt there are more than a handful of others that were ever able to enjoy such a depth and environment.
This really is the realm of Scuba spearfishing..this and the much deeper still structures we have, with even bigger fish.

Great video! Looked like you all were having a blast. Thanks for posting

Looks like you had fun. Personally though I'm more of a harm-nothing kind of diver. Looks like a decent current, had some on that scale last month in the maldives, and some worse, a couple of times it was up to 3-4 knots, and a few times there was washing machine current. Let me tell you that going 4 knots, with enough downward current that my BCD had to be fully inflated to stay at level depth, while my buddy was so narced out that she couldn't focus(the downward current was during the abort, after we let go of the reef), now that was a wee bit hairy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom