Drift Dive - Lousy drop - what do you do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like you did the best you could, and you had a great second dive. The dive operator, after the disappointing first drop, allows 75 minutes? They sound pretty cool!

Boynton Beach is very easy. If you're in the sand at 60 ft, swim east. You would know if you were dropped outside, if in the sand at 70-90 feet, swim west. Works every time.

Yeah, it's probably just my lack of familiarity with the site. We did try swimming east (we were in less than 40 feet of water). Opal reef?

Oh, well. To be honest, I really just don't like drift diving at all. I mainly dive to take photos, and I find it hard to do that with a drift dive, because it's hard to set up a shot, and if I spend too much time playing around with exposure, I loose the diver with the flag!

Yeah, it's probably just my lack of familiarity with the site. We did try swimming east (we were in less than 40 feet of water). Opal reef?

Oh, well. To be honest, I really just don't like drift diving at all. I mainly dive to take photos, and I find it hard to do that with a drift dive, because it's hard to set up a shot, and if I spend too much time playing around with exposure, I loose the diver with the flag!
To each their own. I bought a townhouse in Boynton Beach because I love the drift diving there and in West Palm and Jupiter, my favorite. No navigation, get dropped off, swim for an hour or more, surface and get picked up :)

To each their own. I bought a townhouse in Boynton Beach because I love the drift diving there and in West Palm and Jupiter, my favorite. No navigation, get dropped off, swim for an hour or more, surface and get picked up :)

Yup, absolutely!

I know that drift diving is very popular... I got a place at the NJ shore because I love wreck diving. Good think that we all don't like the same thing or there would be no spots on the boats... :D

... I bought a townhouse in Boynton Beach ..
Thinking about it, I guess that makes alot of sense. Save money on hotels, easy place to wash and store gear so you don't pay hundreds in airline baggage fees, and eating at home has it's advantages (like cooking what you caught that day).

Do your family members also use it when you are not there? And do you do a car rental?

Hi @Johnoly ,

Yes, family and friends use the townhouse when we are not there. It has 3 bedrooms, we bring family and friends when we are there too. All 4 members of my family dive, I only wish we could all be there more often. It is quite inexpensive to cook at home, saves money for diving. Yes, I rent a car. I have toyed with the idea of having a car there but have been too lazy to deal with local transport, maintenance, etc. When my wife retires and we spend more time, I'm sure we will have a car there. We've had the townhouse for 6 1/2 years now. I have about 900 dives in Boynton Beach, West Palm, and Jupiter.

I'm looking forward to my next taste of your delicious seafood kabobs on one of the JDC boats. Next time, I will introduce myself.

Very best and good diving, Craig

Sometimes there is more than one reef along the coast. If you go west you might hit a shallow reef. Going east and not know where I am going seems like it could be lots of deep sand. Now if you know the area well that is a different story.

I love the drift diving there and in West Palm and Jupiter, my favorite. No navigation, get dropped off, swim for an hour or more, surface and get picked up :)

I did the 2 wreck treks in West Palm over the winter. Found the marine life, the visibility and the quality of the wrecks far superior to anything in Fort Lauderdale through Key West. Looking to head back there soon.

I did the 2 wreck treks in West Palm over the winter. Found the marine life, the visibility and the quality of the wrecks far superior to anything in Fort Lauderdale through Key West. Looking to head back there soon.
You would probably also enjoy Boynton Beach and Jupiter:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom