Dragging tanks along floor--would you care?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess this is what I'm trying to get at - does this cause more than cosmetic blemishing? A lot of replies seem to be, "I don't like it either, but it's not a huge deal." To me, that sounds like the greater offense is the disrespect. I'd prefer that over "Now your tanks are going to rust and pit through the bottom within 2 years."

Your tanks should be fine and might even outlast you! BUT...still annoying to say the least that they were so careless. I have to agree w/Doc Intrepid wholeheartedly. Get a cart if you are that lazy! I would bring it to the shop manager/owner's attention and ask them to please treat your gear with more respect. Good luck!

I don't know about rusting and pitting, but I am pretty sure you are gonna die if you dive those tanks :)

But if I tuck my SPG under my backplate, will that die cancel this one out?

My tanks look like that, but I'm pretty darned sure my shop doesn't drag them. It's just laying them down and picking them up that does it. I posted a while back about repainting the gouged areas, but it turns out that putting new paint on tanks will make PSI inspectors reject them, so I just leave them with the rust streak on them.

I'd like to keep my tanks looking nice and new, but it's a loosing battle as even I drag them a bit from time to time. My galvanized tanks do hold up better as far as finish is concerned, compared to my painted Fabers though.

Ken,

In my opinion it boils down what type of diver you are. I've personally seen divers that nurture their equipment and that reflects on the type of personality they have.

There are some divers that run their equipment as it was a guantlet. While others need to wash down their equipment to a perfection before getting it home etc.

Nothing wrong with either, however remember that when you mix the two together it's like mixing water and oil, they just don't mix well....

Sorry that happened to you, because I'm very anal retentive with all of my equipment. That is why many divers ask if I just got the equipment yesterday, my steel 100's look brand new.

I even sent off for new warning stickers from Worthington just to have my tanks look brand new

I'm on your side Ken, they should've been more careful, I have cringed before when I saw them once slide my tank in against the metal and slush it into the water tank.

But what could I do? I offered to pull it out once it was filled and they saw I was uncomfortable with what they had done and they responded by pulling it out fully without dragging it.

MG

Last edited:
Ok I understand you want to keep your gear looking like new, and you are concerned about corrosion reducing the life of your gear. but really were talking about steel here, I heard of guys I've dove with who reamed the dive shop out for letting their immaculate painted tanks slide into the sink for fills because they wanted the tanks to look new forever. Common. don't we do more dammage taking them out and using them on the beach, dragging them on the rocks etc.? Can you tell me were less hard on our gear than the poor guy who were asking to put air into them?

I think if a tech doesn't want to carry the doubles at least a dolly should be used. Harmful or not damaging someone else's property is unacceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom