Dragging a flag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What are you using for the line? I'm running cave line on my float/flag reel, not anchor line....
It was a nylon braided rope (I had to rent from shop as I didn't anticipate having to drag flag). Smaller than anchor line. but in the future I can fashion my own I just need to figure out what I want to do so I can use anything available for future. Posts here in this thread have already been incredible!

If you want/need to make a break-away on the bungie loop attached to the the line holder, you could consider using a zip-tie on bare ends of bungie (no knots). Under stress, it would stretch, and under real stress could pull out of the zip-tie allowing a full release.

1656530779830.png

I thought about using the octo quick release bands with some kind of linkage like you describe, but I think it would be too easily pulled out in current? I might experiment with that though.

I like this idea a lot. I guess if a boat snagged my flag line it might jerk my hand for a few seconds but I could probably get free pretty easily. I still like the idea though of having a breakaway at some point in the loop just in case the initial shock is so great it might break my wrist and/or wrist loop doesn't release (snags on something for example). I think if I did this with some kind of breakaway between the reel and the wrist loop that would be ideal.

Yes in the situation I was in last week it was solo. I usually dive solo but with some group, and I go off to do my own thing snapping pictures. In all prior situations were a flag was required (Blue Heron Bridge I dived a few times for example) someone in my group had the flag so were were okay. This was the first time I had to drag my own so I never though about it before. I *was* able to manage. I used my left hand to hold the spool handle and camera handle together, and when I needed to switch regs I clipped off my camera so I would have a free hand. Still, it affected my shots that day a lot (hard to do close macro with one hand attached to a flag at surface).
I cant say for sure, but I imagine if you make the "dummy reg" a bit wider than a normal one, it could work. Maybe a few cm wider, which would make it harder to pull out, but also more than easy enough to pull off in the case of a boat or other machine. I've never tried it myself though.

the red/white diver down flag is state law I believe in most states though there are some places where it is federally enforced.
Not in California. A lot of our ocean diving is in kelp forests where it would be impossible to tow a surface flag.

Like anything else if you pull a flag several times it becomes much easier and more natural to do. I often pull one while carrying a camera and removing fishing line, it is a juggling act but has become routine.

I don't think there is a perfect solution for the specific problem of shooting macro with a big camera rig and towing a flag. Clipping the flag is unsafe, holding it is going to mess with your shot, and letting it go while you concentrate on the shot is probably not going to end well.

I think the answer is to realize the limitations if you can't find someone else to handle the flag and settle for wide angle for that dive or even... leave the camera behind?

No I didn't say that, must have been that guy over there. :)

Would that be dependant on the body of water and local regulations? I'm not aware of any federal requirement to tow a flag.

US Corps of Engineers lakes require dive flags, either on the boat or towed.

My buddy and I managed to get a don't ask don't tell exemption on a local lake, since we were the only divers they ever saw, and explained how badly having a flag could go around those who had no idea what it was, and we always made a shore entrance and exit, with an SMB for emergency.

Even a loose loop on your hand that you can easily pull off in practice, may, under the pressure of a nice friendly JetSki pulling away at speed shouting "Hey, Look what I found" remain engaged and pull you up. A quick change of depth of just a few feet may have consequences for you depending on a variety of factors, depth, length of dive, gas used, and if you, without realizing it hold your breath during the moments of some excitement.

Here in Southern California towing a flag while you are diving is...well not going to end well. Fortunately, it is not the law here. In other states and or countries it is. While teaching off the beach I am required to have (per our certification agency) a flag, but that I anchor with a screw anchor to the ocean floor and stay within the designated radius. Perhaps you don't need to tow the flag, but like with a boat flying one, just stay within a certain distance of it. I do recommend shooting a DSMB from 20 feet prior to surfacing if not coming up the anchor line to your float or boat. Keep in mind that even a dive boat flying both the Alpha Flag and the Dive Flag and with people on the boat yelling and frantically waiving have had other vessels pass within 20 feet of the anchored dive boat with divers in the water. The occupants of the offending boat have used the excuse of "it's okay, were divers too". My favorite was the boat passed between us and shore while anchored 30 meters from the rocky shore and while running directly over disabled veterans (Including multiple limb amputees) who had to dive for their lives while saying your drivers are in front of your boat" as if we could only have one group. Then they said, "Well how else am I supposed to get to the moorings (they were past us a few hundred meters)?". Hmmm, how else indeed? I had to agree with them because on the other side of the dive boat there was only 26 miles of open ocean. Couldn't possibly go that way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom