Dragging a flag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You might try attaching a small grappling hook to the reel. This adds some weight and allows you to hook off or drop the reel and free up your hands. Also easier to hold.

You Clipping off to the harness is a little dangerous. If you are worried. You could have a d ring or something attached to your harness with several rubber bands in parallel. So the ring breaks off with 25 lbs of tension or something. Best option Is always to let the buddy pull the float

"(3) No diver or group of divers shall display one or more divers-down flags on a river, inlet, or navigation channel, except in case of emergency, in a manner which shall unreasonably constitute a navigational hazard."

That seems to give some leeway if you can articulate how it would be a hazard in that area.

"(4) Divers shall make reasonable efforts to stay within 100 feet of the divers-down flag on rivers, inlets, and navigation channels. Any person operating a vessel on a river, inlet, or navigation channel must make a reasonable effort to maintain a distance of at least 100 feet from any divers-down flag.
(5) Divers must make reasonable efforts to stay within 300 feet of the divers-down flag on all waters other than rivers, inlets, and navigation channels. Any person operating a vessel on waters other than a river, inlet, or navigation channel must make a reasonable effort to maintain a distance of at least 300 feet from any divers-down flag."

Prove I went beyond 100/300 feet of my flag. Set the flag and use it as an ascent line. This won't work well for drift drives.

I don't have to drag my flag, it usually is pulling me to some degree.
That was my first thought when I read the title of the thread.

I suppose carrying anything extra above the typical gear becomes a hassle, even more if it isn't for our benefit.

I could legally dive without the flag as long as the boat follows my bubbles, but it is such a pain for the person topside, it requires a lot of attention, and just plain crazy with big seas. Because of that, the flag has become part of the gear, we attach a hook to the reel when getting a lobster is an option.

Every once in a blue moon a friend will come along and either dive with me or my husband, even then we typically carry the flag ourselves.
About a month ago a friend dove with me and offered to carry the flag, it felt quite different, several times during the dive it felt like I was missing something, finally when it was time to go up I had to really watch my depth because I was going way too slow, I guess I have developed a rhythm of ascending as I wind the line back into the reel, and without it I had no refence of speed, only the always present thought don't go up fast.

Would that be dependant on the body of water and local regulations? I'm not aware of any federal requirement to tow a flag.

the red/white diver down flag is state law I believe in most states though there are some places where it is federally enforced. The blue/white flag has international maritime law and is a boat thing.

I do agree about setting the dive flags and diving around them vs. towing, but that does tend to only work in certain areas and is obviously predicated by your navigational prowess to get back to said dive flag...

I do agree about setting the dive flags and diving around them vs. towing, but that does tend to only work in certain areas and is obviously predicated by your navigational prowess to get back to said dive flag...
You are supposed to stay within 300 ft of the flag at most, or 100 ft if in rivers, inlets, and navigation channels. Florida law. Other places vary.

I've never done it, but I wouldn't suggest using a zip tie as a "quick release" mechanism.

If I had to think of a way to do this, I'd probably fasten some kind of rectangular block with a small arm (similar dimensions to a regulator) to the spool and put it through one of those octo quick release rubber bands so that it would be pulled out via the same mechanism a regulator would be pulled out (at least you know it works). This way, you have two break points, the octo band, and the plastic. If you've got a 3d printer, you can print something like this really easily too. Maybe there's a better way, but this was my quickly thought DIY approach
I thought about using the octo quick release bands with some kind of linkage like you describe, but I think it would be too easily pulled out in current? I might experiment with that though.
I use a large bungie loop on the reel that goes very loosely around my wrist. All I have to do is point my hand in the direction of the pull and it will slide off.... otherwise it just can hang there. I've been successful doing to keep my hands free while dealing with a camera platform, grabbing bottles, etc.
I like this idea a lot. I guess if a boat snagged my flag line it might jerk my hand for a few seconds but I could probably get free pretty easily. I still like the idea though of having a breakaway at some point in the loop just in case the initial shock is so great it might break my wrist and/or wrist loop doesn't release (snags on something for example). I think if I did this with some kind of breakaway between the reel and the wrist loop that would be ideal.
Hi @jsnorman

I do quite a bit of solo drift diving in Boynton Beach FL, where a flag is required for each solo diver or group. I don't have to drag my flag, it usually is pulling me to some degree. I have had my flag snagged twice by a boat. Luckily, I was able to quickly let out line until it was released and did not lose the flag/reel. I would not attach my flag to me. I have a compact camera and dive single backmount, so don't have the other complications you do.

Are you solo, could someone else take your flag? Do you know or did you ask how others deal with your circumstances? I have seen that some solo divers add a small float to their flag line and attach it somewhere when using a large DLSR unit. Sidemount diving is extremely rare here, wouldn't know how to add that activity to the others

Good luck, let us know how it works.
Yes in the situation I was in last week it was solo. I usually dive solo but with some group, and I go off to do my own thing snapping pictures. In all prior situations were a flag was required (Blue Heron Bridge I dived a few times for example) someone in my group had the flag so were were okay. This was the first time I had to drag my own so I never though about it before. I *was* able to manage. I used my left hand to hold the spool handle and camera handle together, and when I needed to switch regs I clipped off my camera so I would have a free hand. Still, it affected my shots that day a lot (hard to do close macro with one hand attached to a flag at surface).

Also, where I was there was enough current I could not really set the flag down (or, at least I could not trust that the flag would be there when I got back to it, assuming I could find it again). I guess if I found something to tie it off on that could work, but in many places I dive there is not much to tie off a rope without damaging corals which I won't risk.

just in case the initial shock is so great it might break my wrist and/or wrist loop doesn't release
What are you using for the line? I'm running cave line on my float/flag reel, not anchor line....

Back
Top Bottom