Drag !!! ?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please note that I always use BP/wings, but this was at an aquarium and I had to use their gear.

The concept of eliminating drag 1% at a time is a vital point. I am not an engineer, and cannot speak to the effect on drag of surface area, but I am pretty sure there is a direct correlation between aggregate surface area and drag. Therefore, the less surfaces exposed, the less equipment in the slipstream, the less drag, and therefore less effort to move through the H2O.

It may seem like nitpicking, but what is the reasoning behind NOT being as streamlined as possible?

Nice Sandtiger! Ain't it cool when they swim right over you and you can look up at that overbite? :)

Roak

and they are so massively indifferent to you when they swim by. I always feel like am beneath their notice.

Ken

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
Scooters are an ideal means of testing drag. But there is more involved than just gear configuration.

Scooters are an ideal way to test drag for a diver being towed by a scooter. What evidence do you have to show they are the ideal approach to evaluating a swimming diver's drag? The angle of the diver may change as well as the flow pattern of the water over the diver. Most of us don't have a large torpedo shaped object ahead of us to improve our hydrodynamics.

By the way, for a swimming diver the position with the arms over the head, as used by the fin swimmers, reduces the drag somewhat, though most scuba divers don't use this. With a scuba rig it is not as effective as for a fin swimmer, but it lengthens the body and streamlines the shoulders reducing drag. You don't need to take my word for it, it's easy to test when you're swimming along sometime.

Ralph

Butch103 once bubbled...

Randy.....you and Scooter are always swimming too fast, and the biggest problem with that is YOU ARE BOTH GETTING LOST QUICKER......Thats why I say I will lead the way and this way we don't have sucha long surface swim back to find the dammm boat......:boom:
hmmmm...but I've never been heard to say " I forgot my compass"
:tease:
Randy...

weight_for_me once bubbled...

hmmmm...but I've never been heard to say " I forgot my compass"
:tease:
Randy...

I seemto remember forgetting my compass and still getting us back to the entry site without it......whilst my dive buddies were wondering WTF are we.......hehehehehehe :boom: :boom:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom