Drag !!! ?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good info provided by all! I am a new diver, and I was wondering if there is a picture or diagram of the perfectly streamlined diver. I don't carry extra gear at this time, but have wondered about cameras, lights, etc. Where is the best place to attach when the time comes to add extras.

Thanks,
Bill:confused:

I was wondering if there is a picture or diagram of the perfectly streamlined diver.
This looks pretty streamlined to me...

O-ring once bubbled...

This looks pretty streamlined to me...
Yep!:wink:

If you're like me...not a big tekkie (yet) drag really isn't much of an issue if your diving in the local ohio quarries. Not many places to go...no current fighting you...when you want to go somewhere, it isn't far. However, I do harp on keeping gear under control with as many students as I can. That in and of itself I think is wonderful diving practice.

If you're in the ocean, let's say drift diving, and you want to stop and look at something...you'll have a far easier time if you're stramlined. Less hoses flapping in the stream, less snorkles vibrating against your mask (if you have it on). Same goes if you are diving around a wreck in a current...easier to swim against if you're stramlined. Do you see a whole lot of fish "swimming" around with tentacles dangling about...no, their tucked away in a streamline fashion.

MechDiver once bubbled...

This is obviously a fake picture. No one can dive without gloves, drysuit, and a hood ;-0

Not to mention that kind of vis...must have been taken in an aquarium

This is obviously a fake picture. No one can dive without gloves, drysuit, and a hood

Drag is always a issue and streamlining is always important no matter what kind of diving your doing. Even on a shallow dive, with no current, no need to cover alot of ground streamlining and the reduction of drag is an issue. One of the biggest issues in diving.
We always want to have control. The ability to move in any direction we choose with minimum work and movement is what we need. Being able to get max motion from min fin movement is what we gain by being streamlined and trim.

All instructors should be fanatics about this. After taking your class your students should be fanatics about it also. I personally wish for Ohio instructors to get into this as this is where I see the worst examples and the most silting. It makes diving miserable. there is no need for it and it is even dangerous.

Hint of the day...If you don't understand the value of being as streamlined and as correctly trim as you can be at all times, you should go see your instructor and...I can't say it. If your instructor let you tool around the lake head up and feet down you should do it again.

If you are an instructor who doesn't get your student trim and streamlined or worse yet doesn't understand it...I can't say what you should do.

If you are an instructor who allows students in the water with dangling alternates or gauges, see above.

Often drag is caused by too much weight and compansated by pumping up the bc. Now thats what I call a tri-view bc, you can look forward and through each side.

Back
Top Bottom