Dr Hubby is brushing off weird urchin sting symptoms

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, no vinegar? I'm surprised because I'd believed that would help dissolve the calcium of the spines.

But Doctor Vikingo was our guy for many years! So that's the word.

My concern was that the rash is spreading, as per OP. Isn't that indicative of this going in the wrong direction?
Impossible to say with the given info but from the post it sounds like the reaction is limited to the site of trauma/punctures. If the reaction is occurring away from the wounds, anywhere there were not punctures, it may be more concerning.

But 4 days into the response I would be very surprised by an acute anaphylactic type reaction. Also reassuring is the fact she reports no toxic symptoms such as nausea/vomiting, lightheadedness or otherwise in distress.

Edit, reread post and seems even longer than 4 days. Seems it is possible to develop a contact dermatitis (delayed hypersensitive reaction) similar to poison oak.

Of course all this is just general info and may not apply to the op.

Impossible to say with the given info but from the post it sounds like the reaction is limited to the site of trauma/punctures. If the reaction is occurring away from the wounds, anywhere there were not punctures, it may be more concerning.

But 4 days into the response I would be very surprised by an acute anaphylactic type reaction. Also reassuring is the fact she reports no toxic symptoms such as nausea/vomiting, lightheadedness or otherwise in distress.

Edit, reread post and seems even longer than 4 days. Seems it is possible to develop a contact dermatitis (delayed hypersensitive reaction) similar to poison oak.

Of course all this is just general info and may not apply to the op.

This is exactly what I was wondering (although I wasn’t sure how to explain it) as I have a very similar reaction to poison oak. (I swear, if I even look at it!) and it will keep spreading over the next two weeks despite every effort possible. Prednisone is the only thing that eventually helps me.

I wonder if it’s possible for the toxins to live on in the wetsuit? Would a vinegar soak help that? He kept wearing it until today, and it won’t be used again until August.

We knew it wasn’t anaphylactic because he had no symptoms of that, but we also couldn’t understand how urchins could cause a similar delayed reaction like poison oak, as they theory behind poison oak (at least the wives’ tales) is that the oil is still somehow present and making contact. (Same clothes/shoes/etc.)

And yes, doctors make the worst patients!

7E87B066-7749-42E1-B7F1-266860224BD8.jpeg

Sadly, there are no shortages of nasty urchin species within the Indo-Pacific.

While working overseas, years ago, we often had to deal with, not only punctures from spines; but also, from the more lasting effects of the pedicellaria (see above) -- the flexible, stalked, jawed organs, hidden among them, which are also capable of envenomating, long after any obvious spines are removed.

Perhaps, irritating pedicellaria remained on his suit or even dive skin; they’re tiny; not that obvious, especially against a darker background; though they'd really have to be in contact with the skin. We kept several liters of cheap-o rice vinegar, for soaking suits, boots, etc, after potential contact; though, I had been under the, perhaps, mistaken impression, that there were no highly toxic Hawaiian species.

We took to shaving cream and a razor to remove the pedicellaria (frequently the size of coarsely-ground pepper), if there were many, attached to the skin; and, on one occasion, faced considerable awkwardness explaining, to a girlfriend at the time, why half of one of my legs was shaved, after two weeks at sea, with a bunch of guys.

The bugger that got me was Toxoneustes ("dokugaze," in Japan), whose reduced spines are non-venomous, but whose pedicellaria certainly are -- its venom containing a rich, nasty soup of proteins (lectins); steroid "cardioactive" glycosides; and sundry inflammatories. I later discovered that there were even fatalities associated with that urchin, among pearl divers, who were said to have actually lost consciousness after contact; but I only had about a week of the catch-all of "contact dermatitis;" some nasty itching; localized pain; and, later, peeling of the area, which resembled a nasty sunburn.

I now insist upon, at least, a 3 mm surf suit, for the stickier parts of the world . . .

My husband is a doctor, and as such, makes for a terrible patient.

Doctors are the worst patients. Second worst patients? Doctor’s parents.

Remember the tongue-twister:
The doctor doctors the doctor the way the doctor who doctors wants to doctor, not the way the doctor who is doctored wants to be doctored.

My friend got urchin punctures last year when we were in Kona.
It was late in the day 8pm.

First time getting stings so we don't know what to do. Many websites say to go see a doc.

All urgent care facilities were closed so we drive to the nearest emergency room, which was pretty far away.

The docs took a half-second look at the wound and refused to admit my friend and said the only thing he will do is to wash the wounded area and apply antibiotics. And it's "not worth 2k bucks".

Yes we left and washed the wound and applied antibiotics at our hotel bathroom.
We continued to dive the next few days, and the wound healed in about 1~2 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom