Downsizing Regs/Choosing Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ian Fatzinger

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Currently have too many regs/brands of regs and I would like to downsize my "collection" so that I have one/two brands for ease of servicing.

My regs are as follows:
2x Apeks XTX50/DST for Sidemount: Main SM/Tec SM regulators (both DIN)

1x ScubaPro A700 Carbon Black Tec/MK25 Evo Carbon Black Tec w/ R195 Octo: Main Rec setup (DIN w/ longhose & necklace)

1x Atomic B2 w/ Z3 Octo: Secondary Rec/Teaching setup (Yoke w/ standard setup)

1x Deep6 Signature Stage Reg Setup: Stage Reg lol (DIN)

I am located on Oahu and don't feel like tinkering with my regs so I should probably sell the Deep6. Thinking I ditch the atomic and get another A700/Mk25 Carbon Black Tec to make a sick SM setup. Debating whether or not to sell the Apeks and just go all ScubaPro... Also thinking I might switch to single-tank SM for recreational diving. Please give me all of the opinions. I may be a complete buffoon.

I'd keep Scubapro and Atomic nothing else. A700 Carbon Black Tec is sick indeed :)

OR Keep the Scubapro you have and ditch the Atomic also and then buy two of the new G260 Carbon/MK19 sets for SM and keep that A700 Carbon for Backmount recreational. This will be awesomely sick.

https://scubapro.johnsonoutdoors.co...9-evo-bt-g260-carbon-bt-dive-regulator-system

The hose on the G260 can be connected to the right or left of the second stage making it ideal for SM.

I did the same thing earlier this year, I standardized on Scubapro.

Mk25 and Mk19Evo for the 1st stage, G250HP and S560 for the second stage (the use the same service kit).

I do have a Mk17 straggler as I thought it used the same service kit as the Mk19Evo but the design changes resulted in a new service kit. So that might get replaced with a Mk19Evo at some point.

For me the reason that I chose Scubapro, is that Scubapro service is literally all over the world, you are rare at a location with any diving that doesn't have a shop that you can service them. And thanks to @buddhasummer and a local shop that looked the other way I have service kits for all of them. So even if they don't have the parts, I can get them serviced most places where I would be diving.

I can probably service them myself if I ever built up the tool kit, as the service manuals aren't impossible to find.

Well, since you apparently don't properly appreciate your Apeks regs, sell them to someone else who will. They will probably be snatched up pretty quickly.

Well, since you apparently don't properly appreciate your Apeks regs, sell them to someone else who will. They will probably be snatched up pretty quickly.

Hahahaha, this is so funny. Thank you for the laugh before going to bed.

Hahahaha, this is so funny. Thank you for the laugh before going to bed.

I was only half joking. Apeks XTX50 usually sell pretty damn quick when they come up used.

I was super excited to dive them and I understand their quality, but they have problems. First dive the casing on the SPG Burst and the regs make a strange highpitched noise whenever I'm breathing at a certain angle. Got them both full serviced again and worked perfectly for the first couple of dives, and then noise returned. Would love a diagnoses if you have one.

I did the same thing earlier this year, I standardized on Scubapro.

Mk25 and Mk19Evo for the 1st stage, G250HP and S560 for the second stage (the use the same service kit).

I do have a Mk17 straggler as I thought it used the same service kit as the Mk19Evo but the design changes resulted in a new service kit. So that might get replaced with a Mk19Evo at some point.

For me the reason that I chose Scubapro, is that Scubapro service is literally all over the world, you are rare at a location with any diving that doesn't have a shop that you can service them. And thanks to @buddhasummer and a local shop that looked the other way I have service kits for all of them. So even if they don't have the parts, I can get them serviced most places where I would be diving.

I can probably service them myself if I ever built up the tool kit, as the service manuals aren't impossible to find.
Was thinking the same thing. Super easy to get serviced wherever I go.

likely just needs some extra lube. i have a pair of scubapro regs that do that, just haven't bothered to rebuild yet.

can be connected to the right or left of the second stage making it ideal for SM.
You do know that this is extraordinarily uncommon in modern sidemount and generally unnecessary right?

Back
Top Bottom