Dove Monastery 10/29

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can decide for yourself what is your "recreational dive limit" but PADI's limit is not calculated in atmospheres, but in feet: 130 feet. If you are buddying with a PADI diver who takes standards literally, and many do, then you need to be sure to brief them on your standards before you go out with them, just to avoid confusion during the dive. 2 feet may not seem like much, but if you have a casual attitude about that, what else are you casual about?

No problem. I will brief with any dive buddies I encounter what I consider the limit is.

FuzzyBunny:

The effects of nitrogen narcosis can lead to irrational decisions/actions. To me, it felt like a bout of terror. It's not a pleasant feeling and I was happy to have my buddy's presence as reassurance.

C.

I had read about the dark narc and was actively watching out for it. I could tell that I was beginning to get narced, which in itself can make anyone uncomfortable, and I suspect if that discomfort was left unchecked it could quickly and even instantaneously turn to a dark narc?

Victor, might I remind you that your recreational dive limit as an OW diver is currently 60 ft. Note that when you are using Nitrox (after your certification) your recreational depth limits will be less than 130 ft, based upon the percentage of O2 you're using.
I feel partly responsible for your going solo at Monastery because we did it with Andrew on Friday, we should have stayed above 60 ft. based upon your level of experience and certification.

Fuzzy, you mentioned that you know how long your air will last, but is that at the depth you were going to?
As you depth increases, so too does your air consumption. Knowing how long your air lasts at 60 foot dives does not equate to knowing how long it will last at 130ft.
You need to know your average SAC rate and do a few calculations with boyle's law, your max depth, as well as other things.
Factor in the gas you'll use for your safety stop and gas you won't use (500psi out).

Once you do all that then and only then can you say you know how long your gas will last and how long your gas limited at that depth.

It saddens me when I read threads like this, and can see into the future.

All the best, James

Victor, Buddy, You are really pushing it WAY past your Skill Level, You are a very good diver as I found this last weekend, But Buddy, Many of us on this board have lost very good friends to diving , some pushed the envelope, Which you are, and some Like Cory Feder Died at Monastary for reasons unknown to us, Cory was a very skilled Tech Diver and a Divemaster that worked the Dive boats all of the time, and he had WAY more experience then you!!

My Point is Buddy, You Really need to rethink the levels of what you are pushing yourself to and past!!!

Read Fdog's Post and think of what he said!!

Victor, might I remind you that your recreational dive limit as an OW diver is currently 60 ft. Note that when you are using Nitrox (after your certification) your recreational depth limits will be less than 130 ft, based upon the percentage of O2 you're using.
I feel partly responsible for your going solo at Monastery because we did it with Andrew on Friday, we should have stayed above 60 ft. based upon your level of experience and certification.

Noted. And yes, I know about Nitrox. Decreases N2 absorption at the cost of a lower MOD.

You don't need to feel responsible or even partly responsible. People naturally assign causation to things when in reality there is no surefire way to do so. You can let it go. I mean, why I went down to 132ft in Monastery is because my mother gave birth to me. Or maybe it's because her mother gave birth to her? Or maybe because some chemical synapse shot off in my head and sealed my future on its own?

Victor, Buddy, You are really pushing it WAY past your Skill Level, You are a very good diver as I found this last weekend, But Buddy, Many of us on this board have lost very good friends to diving , some pushed the envelope, Which you are, and some Like Cory Feder Died at Monastary for reasons unknown to us, Cory was a very skilled Tech Diver and a Divemaster that worked the Dive boats all of the time, and he had WAY more experience then you!!

My Point is Buddy, You Really need to rethink the levels of what you are pushing yourself to and past!!!

Read Fdog's Post and think of what he said!!

Thanks man. I appreciate your concern. I'll do these things when I have attained the proper skills.

Not to throw the thread off topic or to bring up painful memories, but I read about Cory's death on this board and I'm very very confused. He went down to 250ft on straight air (as stated by his father), which is far over the MOD of even the most liberal max pp02. And he did so with buddies. So I'm confused as going down that deep on air makes a CNS hit an almost certainty.

Fuzzy, sometimes I sound like my mother, even to me . . . I'm glad you sat down and thought through the obvious issues with your dive. That's more thought than a lot of newer divers give to things that push their limits. But I would like to warn you that it isn't what you KNOW that is going to hurt you, but what you don't yet know, either about diving or about yourself.

I used to dive quite often with a man who not only had a lot of experience with other water sports in the ocean (and therefore a HIGH degree of comfort in and under the water) but also had both diving talent and fantastic mentorship from day one. At 40 dives or so, he was confident, perhaps to the edge of being a bit cocky, but he wasn't pushing any limits. He was on a dive with me and another friend, when his mask flooded and he panicked. He bolted for shore, without even communicating with us what the problem was. He later said his brain simply wasn't working, and the only fixed idea he had was that he had to get to shallow water. (What he thought that would do for a flooded mask, I have no idea, but rational thought is not one of the hallmarks of panic.)

He was so badly shaken by discovering that he was CAPABLE of that degree of irrationality, that he almost gave up diving then and there.

What you probably don't know, at your experience level, is what the triggers are that will awaken the reptile brain inside you, or how well you will cope with it when it tries to take control. This is one of the big reasons for keeping dives conservative in the beginning, and also for having buddies (although I'll admit we were unable to do anything to assist my panicked friend).

We are not piling on you. Some of us have lost friends doing this sport, and those of us who have been at it a while have heard a lot of stories of near-accidents, so we know what the setup for a problem is. You are clearly a thoughtful person . . . consider that you don't know what you don't know, and that not all of the hazards of a dive are immediately obvious.

We like your screen name; we'd like to keep you around and posting for a while!

That was sweet, Lynne.
FBB, you are a reasonable guy. No one wants to see you get hurt or worse, and Monastery kills people every year. I know you experienced a free flow last weekend at Breakwater due to some o-ring in your reg? What if that had happened when you were narced and couldn't think through the problem? Can't safely do a CESA from 132 ft. You didn't have a buddy to supply the air, can you turn off your air supply by reaching behind you? Have you tried? I can't.
I've only been to the limit of recreational depths for my AOW class, with my instructor, to ascertain if I would feel narcosis or how I would react. I would never ever ever do it alone, that's an insane risk to take. Think those bunny ears may be affecting your reasoning.
Do your AOW and Nitrox classes this weekend and enjoy them, then consider getting further tech training if you want to dive deep.

Back
Top Bottom