Doubts about custom suit size

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wKkaY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My first drysuit (yay) finally arrived. It's a custom suit and it's much longer than I expected.

If I were to hold up the drysuit in front of me, the neck of the suit reaches the top of my head. It's a telescopic design, but it still feels strangely long.

The arms are also a bit large and baggy, but I'm a small guy (165cm / 5ft5) and notice that other small people generally have baggy looking suits.

It dived fine however and for the first time I didn't feel cold, except in the hands!

Most of the length is for the telescoping feature. It allows you to get it over your head. Depending on the type of undergarment you stated you wear r will wear under the suit could be the bagginess. If you are wearing a thinner undergarment than they suit was designed for, it will be some baggy. Drysuits do have a bit more drag in the water
than wetsuits.

+1 to what AJ said

Do you have a picture of you in the suit?

I'll take some later today!

Below is a good post from @NWGratefulDiver about drysuit fit

How the suit should fit depends on the type of suit you're purchasing. The arms and legs should allow a full range of motion without either restricting your motion or leaving any folds in the suit when your limbs are fully bent.

Try these tests while wearing the suit with the undergarment you'll be diving it in ...

- Reach one arm at a time behind your head and touch the spot on your spine between your shoulder blades. Or, if you have the option, put your rig on and touch your tank valve. If the suit restricts your ability to do this the arms are too short or the cut around the shoulders is not adequate to allow proper, comfortable use while diving.

- Put on your fins, using a standard "figure 4" technique. The knees and crotch should be comfortable without any bagging or folds in the lower part of the suit. Any excess material in the leg when in the "figure 4" position will most likely result in air traveling to your lower legs when you don't want it to.

- Do a deep knee bend, as you would when "burping" the suit. The crotch should be snug ... it should neither pull so tight as to be uncomfortable nor should there be any additional room in the crotch are when you are fully bent. If there is, then the torso isn't cut properly for your body.

Another thing to look for is how the upper thighs fit. They should be reasonably snug without excessive fabric giving you that "Canadian Mountie" look.

Keep in mind that any excess fabric anywhere on the suit will create air spaces that can give you buoyancy issues. A bag suit will necessarily require a small amount of looseness to allow for a full range of motion (since the suit doesn't have any stretch to it), and a neoprene suit will not. The trick is in having just enough excess fabric to move properly without any more than you need.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

This is after squatting out all the air.

DSC00250.jpg

dive some 38 degree water. you will appreciate the extra space to stuff with high loft undergarments and air....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom