Doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan:
Maybe, maybe not. How do you know when the isolator got closed?

How do you know what went on at the fill station, who closed it, and at what point in the gas mixing it got closed?

Are you really going to chance it?

Fill station operators who touch my iso valve in my presense get their hand slapped, (unless of course they are bigger and meaner than me :D)

They all get reminded not to fuss with my iso valve.

Every time I pick up my tanks, if I haven't filled them myself, I check the iso to make sure it's open, and I check the fill the pressure.

Boy I want my own compressor in the worst way........

Tobin

wedivebc:
Good point, I have my own compressor so no one fills my tanks but me but I guess most people wouldn't have the same advantage. Just seems if you trust the tank monkey to fill 1 tank with good breathable gas, why not 2?
In any case, if you're into a dive before you realize your iso is closed you probably have bigger issues anyway. I think this would be a reality check to say "wow, we really messed up in our predive checks and planning. I'm not going to keep going, who knows what else we missed. I'm giving the thumb right now."

cool_hardware52:
Fill station operators who touch my iso valve in my presense get their hand slapped, (unless of course they are bigger and meaner than me :D)

They all get reminded not to fuss with my iso valve.

Every time I pick up my tanks, if I haven't filled them myself, I check the iso to make sure it's open, and I check the fill the pressure.

Boy I want my own compressor in the worst way........

Tobin
yup i feel the same way.
i mix all my own gas and fill all my own tanks.
in some cases im at the very least standing next to the person doin it, while doing it.
if i had to, i would get my own small compressor and but a few bottles of gas from air gas to make my own mix....
its not that i dont trust anone else, but i dont trust anyone else.

Don't turn the valves underwater until you've been properly trained on it. Make sure all valves are opened before splashing (as has been well covered here), but that should be the last time you touch them until your SI without proper training. If you don't know what you're doing, shutting down a valve underwater can be a problem.

Yes, I am still using it with the travel bands. Sure, it is only used under the rec. diving limits. Many members don't recommend it though. I think it is ok with the shallower resort diving. I am also using an independent double set up with the travel bands.

In addition, it isn't a rocket science to know how to use the manifold.

Firediver:
Does anyone still use the Yoke to Yoke Manifold??? Just curious. I have one and was told it is still in great shape. It's a Sherwood and it's about 14yrs old... I use it only to balance tank pressures right now..... just curious.. should I wait and just save the money to buy a manifold and isolation valve????

I've got a doubles question that I thought I would throw onto this thread.
I'm not planning to get doubles for another year at least so it's pretty much theoretical right now. I've searched around looking for the answer but never really have found one. All the tech guys around here use rebreathers, so I've never actually seen a set of doubles. Sorry if it's naive.
How do the doubles fasten to the backplate? Is there a strap or do they bolt on through the bands?

i mainly want to get into doubles for the air redundancy. beats carrying a pony bottle. also i want to make sure my Gf (buddy) has a redundant supply of air as well

hoosier:
...In addition, it isn't a rocket science to know how to use the manifold.

No, it's not. In fact, I'm self taught. But I also did a lot of simulation before I started turning valves. If you're not absolutely sure of what you're doing, one wrong turn can lead to no air or a false pressure reading, and then can lead to a panic situation. That's why I push the formal training. And no, I don't teach it.

Spoon:
i mainly want to get into doubles for the air redundancy. beats carrying a pony bottle. also i want to make sure my Gf (buddy) has a redundant supply of air as well
Recreational doubles work out pretty well as long as you keep them small. Double AL80s is about as big as you would want to go. I have a set of them and two sets of steel 72s.

They beat the heck out of a 131 single in my opinion.

Unless you intend to dive really shallow, a nitrox cert will probably be needed to get the most out of them.

Back
Top Bottom