Doubles wing recommendations please?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The DR REC 45 pound bladder also has the advantage of being easily upgraded to a redundant bladder, so you dont have to worry about drysuit/liftbag/dsmb emergency bouyancy.

The DR REC 45 pound bladder also has the advantage of being easily upgraded to a redundant bladder, so you dont have to worry about drysuit/liftbag/dsmb emergency bouyancy.

thanks I actually went with redundancy, had two too many dry suit floods (ie two total) to trust using my dry suit to do anything more than keep me warm most of the time.

I bought my first doubles in 1999. They were U.S. Divers Luxfer Aluminum 80's. I had a 30 cubic aluminum Pony bottle strapped in between them. I was also using a 6.5 mm Farmer John........Carrying 42 pounds of lead. New England diving. The water was approx. 38 degrees.
I'm 6'3 245 Lbs. (Just giving you an indication of how heavy I was in full gear.)
The B.C. that I was using at the time was a U.S. Divers Sea Master which had 50 Lbs of lift. I never had any issue being over weighted, or any problems returning to the surface.
I currently have an Apeks WTX6R (Dual Bladder.) which has 60 Lbs of lift. The wing is the perfect width for doubles, and also suitable for single tank dives with a S.T.A. (Single Tank Adapter.) The retraction bungee is on the inside of the shell, so there is no worry for snagging, and there is minimal drag.
45 Lbs is sufficient for Double 80's (Just make sure the wing is wide enough.) Many people you will find say, or think 60 Lbs or more of lift is not necessary (Too much.) Kind of like having too much air.( LOL.)
I suggest buying something that is modular. Something that you can use for different tanks, diving applications, and future advancement.
Cheers.
WTX6R Buoyancy Cell

You probably do not need redundant buoyancy with AL80 doubles. At most those tanks are about 10 lbs negative when full with a manifold and bands. They're more-or-less neutral at 500PSI. If you can't swim that up.....

Just make sure if you're carrying lots of lead for a thick wetsuit that all or most of it is ditch-able.

People need redundant buoyancy with double steel tanks that can easily be 25lbs negative when full. Plus a heavy light, maybe a stage, then it starts to add up and you could be in real danger in the event of a wing failure. But not with AL80s.

I dive tiny doubles - twin 50 steel tanks and use an Apeks WTX45. I have a stainless backplate and the rig makes me 5 lbs. heavy at the start of the dive and almost neutral by the end so I put a few pounds in the trim pockets and that is all. This depends on which wetsuit I am wearing but it does not change too much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom