Doubles wing and stage tank: how it's rigged?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

omcfadde

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi,

I'm considering making my entry into technical diving by purchasing a set of doubles and BP/W. I've spoken to an IANTD instructor about taking the Advanced Recreational Trimix course, and we both agree it's within my abilities but it would be a good idea to have my own set of doubles and a few dives on them before taking the course. I agree with this, as it's new equipment to get familiar with; I do not want to be wasting time fussing over equipment when I'm paying a lot of money for the instructors time.

One of the requirements of the IANTD A.R.T course is carrying a stage/deco cylinder. I am considering which BP/W I should purchase, and the Halcyon Evolve looks very good. Although it's probably one of the more expensive brands, I might be able to get a good deal...

Anyway, to the question that I forgot to ask my IANTD instructor: how is the stage/deco cylinder rigged to the BP? It looks like it's possible from this photo on Halcyon's site:

mexico_dr_dosojos_0051.jpg

However it doesn't show exactly how it's rigged/attached. Even the GUE Equipment Configuration page is vague on the subject; either it's something so obvious that I'm missing it, or a way to sell books. :)

If someone has a setup like this and could post some close-up photos, it would be much appreciated.

Stage tanks are not attached to the back plate at all.

They are rigged with clips near the top and bottom of the stage cylinder. One of the clips is attached to a D ring at about armpit level on the left side arm strap of the rig and the other clip is attached to a D ring on the waist band of the rig on the left side.

This way, you can reach down with both arms, unclip it etc.

R..

;p.s. I didn't know you could take a.r.t. without any previous tek training.... Maybe a good idea at this point is to start with advanced nitrox or something so you can get used to diving in the gear first. Just a thought.

Usually the stage tank is attached to the backplate with boltsnaps and a cam band. hope this helps

Okay, so here's a picture of the Halcyon BP. I assume you mean that a boltsnap goes through one of the lower left holes (near the tri-glide) then that attaches to the rigging when you buy a stage bottle rigging kit?

Backplate_sizes.jpg

Then the usual bungee cord (or whatever comes with the rigging kit) to a upper D-ring to secure the front of the cylinder?

Last edited:
Thanks Diver0001 and ianr33. I understand how it's done correctly now.

Diver0001, you can take the A.R.T. course as an introductory course, but both myself and the instructor agreed that it would be best to get my own set of doubles and a bit of practice in the pool and open water first. Just to get familiar with the new configuration.

I've been diving with a single wing previously, and it's an absolute pleasure compared to a jacket BC.

Diver0001, you can take the A.R.T. course as an introductory course, but both myself and the instructor agreed that it would be best to get my own set of doubles and a bit of practice in the pool and open water first. Just to get familiar with the new configuration.

Sounds like a sound approach. Good luck.

R..

I would like to thank the scubaboard community for answering the OP's question straight, rather than making a lot of noise and saying "just take the class." :)

I would like to thank the scubaboard community for answering the OP's question straight, rather than making a lot of noise and saying "just take the class." :)

Indeed, thanks everyone for taking the time to answer my question; very much appreciated. :)

When i said that the boltsnaps attch to the backplate i meant that they attach to d rings on the webbing on the backplate - sorry!

Back
Top Bottom