Doubles Setup - Sanity Check

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To streamline your backup reg hose even more, you could use a scubapro 90 degree adapter on the second stage. I believe it's still DIR, as we use it on our singles rigs primary hose.

(I am not referring to the Omniswivel)

Safe Diving

Question, why is the wing inflator hose on the right post and not the left? Is it because the left post is tilted right? I don't have doubles so I'm just asking out of curiosity.

One reason is because the left post can be subject to being rolled closed. I.e. if the valve hits the roof of a cave/cavern/wreck is can be accidently closed. If the left valve is closed then you lose inflation.

Few reasons:

(1) If running dry suit off back gas, this leaves buoyancy on two separate posts.
(2) Provides a third reg if left post is unusable during air share.

One reason is because the left post can be subject to being rolled closed. I.e. if the valve hits the roof of a cave/cavern/wreck is can be accidently closed. If the left valve is closed then you lose inflation.

Wouldn't the same apply to the right post though?

Wouldn't the same apply to the right post though?

If swimming forward, you will roll off the left post, not the right. That's why the primary is on the right and the secondary on the left. If you're going to roll something off during an air share, better it be your gas than the OOG diver's, as it's easier for you to correct than him.

In any case, I don't see roll off being much of a reason for choosing which post to put the inflator on.

If swimming forward, you will roll off the left post, not the right. That's why the primary is on the right and the secondary on the left. If you're going to roll something off during an air share, better it be your gas than the OOG diver's, as it's easier for you to correct than him.

In any case, I don't see roll off being much of a reason for choosing which post to put the inflator on.

OH! I just understood what you meant by rolling off. You literally mean if it continually dragged along the side of a wall or something. Okay, I thought you meant bumping and damaging something!

Question, why is the wing inflator hose on the right post and not the left? Is it because the left post is tilted right? I don't have doubles so I'm just asking out of curiosity.

For one, if you have a free flowing inflator on your wing, you have to be able to dump gas out of it (left hand) while shutting off the valve (right hand)...

The placement of the hoses is way more well thought out then hose routing. For example, as previous mentioned, the left post can roll off while in overhead...if the long hose (primary reg) was on the left post, it could roll off while gas sharing..a much worse situation then if the backup reg is on that post..if it rolls off, you can turn it back on pretty quick..on a sidenote, anytime your valves hit something, you should reach back and do a quick flowcheck on all 3 valves...

Quick point to the OP: do you have an experienced doubles/DIR diver who can help you check out your kit before your first doubles dive, and during your dive? I applaud you for asking questions on how everything should be set up, but I'm slightly concerned because the nature of some of your questions strongly suggests that you don't the benefit of a guiding hand there to help you out. Having someone who understands the DIR gear setup and the details of diving in doubles is probably the best help you could get at this point, and I would highly suggest seeking someone out in your area who can help you tweak the final details and first dives in your new rig.

Gombessa, hit it. Really does help to have a mentor. Is there anyone in your area that teaches an intro to tech course? I wish I did before I started my other more advance courses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom