Doubles for Recreational Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If your asking about the 46's....

slightly better than a pair of AL80 with next to no bouyancy shift at the end of the dive and much better than a single HP120. No effort needed to stay horizontal in the water.

Huh? Wouldn't the buoyancy shift be exactly the same for a given tank with the same amount of gas consumed? Are you trying to say the steel 46s are more negative than an 80?

Huh? Wouldn't the buoyancy shift be exactly the same for a given tank with the same amount of gas consumed? Are you trying to say the steel 46s are more negative than an 80?

HUH? I don't think I'm trying to say anything, except for what I placed in the post. But feel free to read whatever you want into it.

If your asking about the 46's....

slightly better than a pair of AL80 with next to no bouyancy shift at the end of the dive and much better than a single HP120. No effort needed to stay horizontal in the water.

Yes, sorry I wasn't clear, I was responding to the pic with the three 46's.
Cousteau used a set up similar I think?
Very cool hardware.

All the best,
Geoff

Buoyancy shift is dependent on the amount of gas consumed and the size of the tank (obviously larger quantity tanks will have larger buoyancy shifts if the entire tank is drained -- 130s will have a larger buoyancy shift than 80s, if both tanks are drained).

HP120 has 120cf of gas. This is ~9.6lbs of buoyancy shift, if you consume the entire tank.
Air weighs 0.08lbs/cf, or 12.5cf per pound of air. 120cf / 12.5cf/lbs = 9.6lbs.

Triple 46s = (46*3) = 138cf = 11.04 lbs of buoyancy shift.

I think being picky about wording is just a recognized pastime :)

You misread what he posted. He's comparing TRIM between the different rigs. The buoyancy comment is just an aside (and should apply to any of the rigs by his standard). While I disagree with his saying there's really no buoyancy shift (it's actually pretty significant; but yes, smaller than for "typical" doubles), again, he's clearly addressing trim.

You misread what he posted. He's comparing TRIM between the different rigs. The buoyancy comment is just an aside (and should apply to any of the rigs by his standard). While I disagree with his saying there's really no buoyancy shift (it's actually pretty significant; but yes, smaller than for "typical" doubles), again, he's clearly addressing trim.

Sure, semantics, not really worth getting our panties in a bunch-sorry if that came off a bit abrupt, wasn't meant that way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom