Doubles for Recreational Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My biggest issue is that I see a lot of people who dive doubles in a wetsuit.

Ah, good point. I won't dive doubles without alternative lift. In my case, that's a drysuit. If I find myself diving wet for whatever reason -- since I don't have training or experience with other forms of alternative lift -- I'll switch back to singles.

These will just make you do stupid things.

I disagree, and I think this comment misses the point of thread. No one is talking about diving beyond recreational limits, and simply because one has the gas to potentially exceed recreational limits does not mean one is going to do so.

I think you're right to point out that training is a good thing. But the question here isn't how much or what kind of training did you seek before transitioning to doubles. It's simply: do you use doubles on recreational dives? I suspect that a lot of folks who dive doubles on rec dives actually have had some form of technical training, or at least they've received some kind of mentoring. (It's hard for me to imagine someone spending the money or demonstrating the know-how to assemble a kit straight out of OW...) Do these folks use their doubles for their rec dives? The answer seems to be yes. Are they behaving stupidly? It doesn't seem so.

And let's not forget that big single tanks provide sufficient gas to "make you do stupid things." I have set of twin 72s without plus ratings; even as doubles, they hold less air then some singles with generous fills. So you're right to point out that it's imperative you behave responsibly as a diver. But that imperative didn't ramp up just because you've added a tank; it was already in effect with equal strength.

Redundancy Redundancy Redundancy! It may just save your life!

Right -- which is another reason one might opt for doubles, even when your dive plan doesn't demand all that gas.

When the surf is up at Monastery you do not go in, period.

Ha, I guess I should define what I mean by "up". If it's glassy smooth, I'll go in doubles. If it's ankle-biters, I'll go in singles. If it's much more than ankle-biters, I'll go somewhere else.

astrofunk:
I want to see that rig! Do you have pictures? Where did you get the bands? Where did you get the manifold?

I don't have one, but I've dived my buddy's, he bought it new from US Divers in 1958. I would love to have one!

TSherman:
My biggest issue is that I see a lot of people who dive doubles in a wetsuit.

I dive mine in just a swim suit, but yes, I can swim it up from the bottom with a completely deflated BC.

Wow, this thread is kinda scary. Ok, here is my rant and my $.02.

If you don't need doubles, dive your singles. These will just make you do stupid things. Your tanks should be used based on your dive plan. I own doubles for NE diving and I rent singles when I vacation dive (rec dive with pretty fish).

Your reason for diving doubles shouldn't be because you are too lazy to switch tanks during a rocky boat sit (even though I do the same thing in NC). The dives in NC are pretty much shallow, under 120' so doing 2 dives a day on twin 100's or 120's isn't too bad.

My biggest issue is that I see a lot of people who dive doubles in a wetsuit. Do you have enough lift to get up if your BC goes out on you? I assume everyone has a lift bag and a signal device to get up on.

Many people are taking "Tec" type gear and saying I can do this. You should really have a little training before you decide to go long. How do you plan your dive to know you have enough gas to finish multiple dives using just your back gas? Its a pretty simple calculation. Do you have enough to lend to your buddy and finish your dive?

Straping on doubles and "swinging a bottle" isn't all there is to tech diving. There is a lot of theory and trial and error experience needed to move on.

You really need to speak to someone and remember you are chancing your life to the experts that post in here when you believe everything you read. A certified Tech instructor is the best resource you can have. There are plenty of them in different agencies. They will give you the benefits of setting up your doubles for what you want to do. I would very seriously consider a dry suit for doubles. Most responsible divers use them when adding the weight of doubles. Redundancy Redundancy Redundancy! It may just save your life!

Wow, what an indictment of everyone who doesn't agree with you! No we are not stupid, or living dangerously just because we use more cylinders than you do.

No one said that diving with doubles was "tech diving". In fact, the title of the thread is very clear we are not talking about "tech diving" whatever that is.

What is wrong with diving doubles in a wetsuit? I do it frequently as do many other people I know. The criteria is whether or not the diver can swim up the rig from depth with no lift assistance. Not, whether the diver can get it up by using a lift bag or other assitance. In either case the diver must be able to stay at the surface for an extended period without assistance. As long as I can do the task does it really matter what I'm wearing for exposure protection?

As for doubles making a diver do stupid things; can those inanimate objects give off some kind of mind melding ray that turns a person into a mindless automaton? Didn't think so.

Bottom line: A thinking diver carries all the gas needed for the planned dive plus some. The thinking diver doesn't allow custom to limit their thinking on how plan and execute a safe dive where all the people came back to the surface has healthy as they went down.

Wow, this thread is kinda scary. Ok, here is my rant and my $.02.

If you don't need doubles, dive your singles. These will just make you do stupid things. Your tanks should be used based on your dive plan. I own doubles for NE diving and I rent singles when I vacation dive (rec dive with pretty fish).

Are you going to use the same philosophy when you get your rebreather?

I want to see that rig! Do you have pictures? Where did you get the bands? Where did you get the manifold?

I made the bands from SS sheet. The manifolds are a mix if modified valve components from OMS, Sherwood and Thermo along with some fittings from Swagelok and some custom machined stainless steel parts. All of the custom machined parts were designed for a 5000psi working pressure. The manifolds have multiple regulator fittings with independant shutoffs.

I made the bands from SS sheet. The manifolds are a mix if modified valve components from OMS, Sherwood and Thermo along with some fittings from Swagelok and some custom machined stainless steel parts. All of the custom machined parts were designed for a 5000psi working pressure. The manifolds have multiple regulator fittings with independant shutoffs.

When does production start, and when will they be ready to buy?

Not Triple 40's but triple 46's
MyTriples2.jpg

Very Divable
Tripleminne.jpg

Back
Top Bottom